Trip To Thailand


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
December 7th 2004
Published: December 7th 2004
Edit Blog Post

We are back in Toronto and all considered, we had more fun than we anticipated. The heat in Bangkok and it's environs wore us down, as we prefer walking. This is the pace that allows us to absorb experiences of sights, sounds and smells. We decided not to go to the beaches of Southern Thailand. We slowed down to enjoy urban experiences. Tours were around Bangkok and Chiang Mai in Northern Thiland.
Things we enjoyed in Bangkok
1) We stuck with Old Bangkok and once we adapted to the frenzy, we took the non air conditioned Canadian 12 cent or 4 Baht Buses.
Do not miss the complexes of temples around the Golden Palace. We walked to it from the Khaosan Road area and took the bus back.Enjoyed a one hour Thai massage at the Temple (300B each).
Take at least 3 hours and a guide book or rent a guide for 1000B.Put your shoes in a back pack before entering a temple; it's quicker than storing and retrieving line-ups at the temple.

2) A worthwhile tour, was a day tour out of Bangkok, leaving Khaosan Rd.at 7AM to the Damonen Sadak Floating Market (kid like fun and loved the exotic fresh fruit and paddle boating thru' the market) and Kanchanburi War Memorial and cemetary(Historic WWII Bridge over the River Kawae. For this trip our hotel travel agent asked for 750B each, one couple on the tour paid 350B.) We paid a travel agent on Khaosan Rd 400B per person,it included an okay pre-set Thai shared lunch tuned for western palates.
We loved strolling through the street vendors in Banglampu, just a 5 minute walk north of Khaosan Road. Once you get used to the 2 foot wide walking space between sidewalk stalls of food and clothing, it is the best feel one can get for the lives of ordinary Thai's; not the ones in the suburbs that wear the name brands. They are aping and faking the west to feel well off over a burger at MacDonalds.We stuck to the Thai food. Try the spicy Tom Yam Kung (shrimp) soup a large bowl for 2 at 60B

Day 8 we took the overnight train to Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand. The second class A/C sleeper was excellent. The sleepers were fitted with clean linen. A fitted sheet, a good pillow with clean cover and a clean cotton blanket.The bed is about6.5 feet long.Each bed has a full length draw curtain on rails.
There was the choice of the dinning car, bring your own food, or order food to your seat. The food is nothing to rave about and as expensive as the tourist places in town about 90B per stir fry noodle dish.

The weather in Chiang Mai was defintely better. Pleasant at dawn and dusk and less polluted and cooler than Bangkok days. The guest house on Moon Muang Road (North Lands) was inexpensive. 400B for a King size bed with the walk to the 3rd. floor. It had a fridge, TV and hot shower. A restaraunt on the main floor was reasonable 60B for American breakfast.We took a day tour the next day; priced at 450 Bhat each. It took us to the Golden Triangle area which borders Burma (Myanmar) Thailand and Laos on the east. The hill tribes we visted were worth it. It was nice to discover the Maekong river; of Vietnam war fame. This tour is scenic for the rural and mountain views. It was a long day.
The local markets in Chiang Mai are quaint and less hectic than the ones in Bangkok. Try the day and nightmarkets in the old city.

We returned to Bankok,the train ride was wonderful. We decided against going to Khosamet, a beach 4 hours south east of Bangkok. We had, had it with mini-buses and the heat in the South would be worse. Instead we explored Bangkok. We got custom fitted clothing made for us and between fittings visted the MBK Mall (7 stories) a 15 minute, 4 Bhat ride east of Banglamphu. Bus numbers 15 and 47 take you there from the Democracy Square area. This is a middle class Mall and my wife did her Christmas shopping.The washroom use costs 1B and cleaner and equipped better than any in the West or your 3 star hotel. When we got hungry we went to the huge food court. The duck was soooo gooood!. We later discovered that the grocery store on Flr 4, would deep fry or steam any fresh fish we picked. Well, well!. So we feasted on Indian Mackeral, red snapper, shrimp etc and fresh fruit. We even sipped beer through straws. It was inexpensive; around 180Bhat or Canadian $5 for 2. That was a high proteen meal for a big red snapper, 2 beer cans, 4 large prawns and some fruit; no noodles please!

The flight home on United Airlines was was swifter due to the tail wind, but we were stressed trying to make the Chicago- Toronto leg. For some mindless reason, we had to retrieve our luggage, clear immigration and security ( about 250 people in the line-ups) Then check in at another terminal (connected by a rail car). We had 70 minutes to get all this completed. Not surprised our bags missed the flight to Toronto. Why go through this when we are just in transit and not entering the USA? We had Chub security plus airline security go through and seal all are bags, twice, plus Xray in Bangkok before taking off. Then again why allow just 70 minutes between flights with this security gauntlet to run? I guess this is the fringe of paranoia implementing security.Pain for the few, safety for the many.
The trip was wonderful and recommended for the first time budget traveler. Not many Thais speak or understand English, but they are a spiritual and dignified people in public. We in the "individual" driven West, can re-learn how to exercise restraint in public rather than pander for personal attention by our behaviour and dress. We easily noticed how well behaved young western travellers were. No roudiness even after several beers! One lives and learns from people, more so than from rule books!

BUDGET:
14 nights in Bangkok;
10 nights at the New World Lodge (Baglampu, Sam Sen Rd. Soi2)Average 925 Bhat including a superb breakfast, full American and full Thai, including fresh fruit.
Excellent room with fridge, A/C clothes closet, chairs and table. Two bottles of drinking water, electric kettle, coffee and tea bags, gown, slippers for room and shower.
1 night at Khaosan Palace 650 Bhat. Clean, but sparse guest house. Just A/C,Tv, two twin beds with a terry cover sheet, no furniture or fridge.
1 nights at D & D Inn on Khaosan Rd. 750 Baht incl. a mediocre breakfast buffet. No drinking glasses in the room, A/C,TV, twin beds and terry cover sheet, clothes stashed in our back pack.
2 nights at the new Rambuttri Village guest house across the road from Khaosan Rd. 650Baht. Once again, sparse, excellent shower/ bathroom.
3 nights in Chiang Mai, 400Bhat per night at North Lands guest house. A/C, fridge, TV and hot shower. Involved a walk up to the 3rd. foor.
Overnight Train Bangkok- Chiang Mai, 2nd. class A/C sleeper 1700Bhat per person round trip. Could be cheaper if you buy directly on the internet and pick up at the airport on arrival or at the Hua Lampoong train station.

Food? We stuck with the Thai food sharing one noodle dish, buying one meat dish and local fruit, beer and bottled water.Avg.for 1.5 meals per person per day; 150B. The 1/2 meal could easily be a green tea ice-cream at Swensons (33 bhat or 66 Cdn. cents per scoop)or fruit and yoghurt for the same price per person). This low amount factors the full and filling high protein breakfasts included in the room rate; most days.
International Flight : Canadian $1350 each Toronto (1.5 hrs.)-Chicago-(13 hrs.)Tokyo-7 hrs.)Bangkok

Clothing
Indian tailor shop,Amit Tailors on Khaosan Rd: Made to measure, 4 fittings over 1 week period (every 2 days or sometimes 4pm and 8pm same day. Email me if you want to buy there.Quality and referals go hand in hand!
Tuxedo suit,Italian wool with ruffled shirt, cummerband, (reversable red and black)red tie, red and black bow ties and red vest..Cdn.$275. Italian wool blazer and 2 Cashmere pants Cdn.$175.
Womens 3 piece Cashmere suit (jacket, pant and skirt)$200 including 2 Thai silk blowses.
Custom cotton shirts with initials on cuffs $20 each.
Ready made silk ties at MBK mall $12 each worth 2 to 3 times the price. Excellent service and courtesy when shopping or tailoring in Bangkok.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb