Sudbury, Ontario


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Sudbury
July 25th 2011
Published: July 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sudbury, Ontario, I am happy to say is my hometown. For those who know it and have seen it know that there isnt much to do in the city. unless your passing through as a tourist. Being a tourist there are a wide variety of things to see and do. Well, a brief history of Sudbury. There are 160,000 people living in the city, at least when the last census was done back in 2006. It is the largest city in the Northern Ontario region by population, and the 24th largest metropolitan area in Canada. By land area, it is the largest city in Ontario, and the seventh largest municipality by area in Canada.

Sudbury is on the Canadian (Precambrian) Shield. With 330 lakes within its boundaries, Sudbury has more lakes than any other municipality in Canada. Among the most notable are Lake Wanapitei, the largest lake in the world completely contained within the boundaries of a single city, and Lake Ramsey, just a few kilometres south of downtown Sudbury, which held the same record before the municipal amalgamation in 2001 brought Lake Wanapitei fully inside the city limits.

Sudbury has lent its mining heritage to two major tourist attractions: Science North, an interactive science museum built atop an ancient fault line on the shore of Lake Ramsey, and Dynamic Earth, an earth sciences exhibition which is also home to the Big Nickel, one of Sudbury's most famous landmarks. A mining heritage monument also overlooks the city's Bell Park.

Another city landmark, the Inco Superstack, is the tallest freestanding chimney in the Western hemisphere, and the second tallest structure in Canada after the CN Tower.

The city is also home to the Greater Sudbury Heritage Museums, a network of historical community museums.

In 2007, the city undertook a community project which saw the downtown Paris Street bridge retrofitted with 72 flagpoles, each of which will permanently display the flag of a world nation demographically represented among the population of Sudbury. In September 2007, the bridge was officially renamed Bridge of Nations. Ten more flagpoles were installed in 2009, bringing the project to its final total of 82 flags.

I will be adding photos of each place as i go to them.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb