Day 12 Friday May 10/13 Ottawa, Ontario 5098 kms


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
May 10th 2013
Published: May 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Today we are leaving North Bay traveling to Ottawa. Its time again to tell you about what I have learned on this trip. First I have learned that in Ontario just because it was hot yesterday does not mean anything today. I have also been told that it is always windy here. They say that in western Ontario it always blows from the west. In northern Ontario it always blows from the north. In eastern Ontario it always blows from the east. What that tells me is Toronto really sucks. We are not going there. Mostly because we have already been to the geographical centre of North America in Rugby North Dakota.

We woke up to rain and cold this morning. They are saying it is minus two with the wind chill. It is about 350 kilometres to Ottawa. The second thing I have learned is that we are discovering every weakness of our equipment. Rain gear works well for about 2 hours. Boots stay dry for about an hour. Gloves don't stay dry but they work with heated grips.

I have also learned that it seems to rain for more than an hour here, go figure!!!!

I have also come to appreciate the advise others that have done this trip have given us. Being advised to take the less traveled U.S. highways has been so valuable. Its not that Canada does not have beautiful scenery, it really does. It is that when you are traveling a to lane highway full of semi's and bumper to bumper traffic doing 20 kilometres over the speed limit, there is no time to enjoy it. There is also no way to slow down to take it in. With the narrow roads and limited passing availability people tend to tailgate. A lot. It is very dangerous. Certainly not pleasurable. Add to this heavy rain and the mist coming off passing trucks makes visibility an issue.

We were told that the rest areas in the U.S. were a little nicer than ours. I can't say that. We haven't found one yet. Seriously, there is nowhere to pull off for a break unless its a restaurant or a gas station. I know I am sounding negative but this is our experience. Others must feel the same way or they would not have advised us on the lower route.

Getting back to the ride. It took almost eight hours to travel what turned out to be 380 kilometres. It was so cold at times we were forced to ride just 50 k at a time to try to warm back up. Every Tim Horton's and every coffee shop was full with travellers getting off the roads waiting for the rain to let up. When it did let up we got hammered by the wind. The one thing that kept us going was that we are finally taking our first day off. We are staying for two nights in Ottawa. Sleep in, late night out, maybe even burgers and beers. Maybe not so negative tomorrow?

Keep the comments coming we really love to hear from everyone reading the blog. Ian.

Advertisement



12th May 2013

well sounds like its been a stormy short while for you two. keep taking the most enjoyable routes even if you hadnt planned them. stay positive and keep smiling because the weather will most likely clear up soon so that you wont have to feel like drowned rats anymore. xoxox love u two! safe wishes to you both. sally

Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1676s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb