Romancing The Falls.........


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
May 28th 2009
Published: May 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The fact of the matter is that you can just sit there for hours just staring at them; first the American Falls with the good sized boulders constantly bombarded with the cold water of the Niagara River, then just to the right, the Canadian Falls or “Horseshoe Falls” as they are known, which majestically tumble into the same river with the constant company of the Maid of the Mist tourist boats.

Sure, this is a well crafted tourist destination, with all the major hotel chains, the Hard Rock Café, Planet Hollywood, multiple casinos and even an indoor water park which we’re sure impresses the many kids who burn off energy going down the multiple slides into the heavily chlorinated water, not to mention the parents who have successfully found a way to tire out the little rug rats so they will sleep well at night. For those of you with children, we mean that in the nicest way.

But in the end, there they are……they are not the most majestic falls in the world, not the steepest and perhaps not even the most famous when you consider Iguaçu Falls, Victoria Falls or Yosemite. What remains is that they are simply mesmerizing to look at. Literally one-fifth of all the fresh water in the world tumbles over these 180 ft. falls. And you can get very close to them and experience the fury of the water. We felt a conflict between the beauty of Mother Nature and all of the commercialism but again the falls are beautiful.

Back in January when it was cold and snowy in “The Burgh,” MJ asked what we would like to do on Memorial Day weekend. During this conversation we discovered that neither of us had been here for a very long time. Or as we sometimes say “in that other lifetime.”

We set out in the Toyota and put the top down on a sunny day and headed for the Canadian side of the Falls. We reserved a room at the Sheraton on the Falls. Upon arrival, we found ourselves on the 17th floor with a fabulous view of both falls. We were almost directly across from the American Falls. The full length glass walls included a small door which you can open and listen to the falls. This makes for great sleeping. Imagine if you will the sound of powerful cascading
Sheraton Falls ViewSheraton Falls ViewSheraton Falls View

A great place to stay-- we loved our room
water……

The first night we dined at the top of the Skylon Tower, which opened in 1965 and has a revolving restaurant. For our Seattle friends, it was like taking the Space Needle and moving it to Niagara Falls, Canada. The food wasn’t bad, which goes against the general principal that you shouldn’t eat in a revolving restaurant.

At sunset, they turn on giant floodlights to illuminate the falls and they are quite nice.

After a good night’s rest, the next morning we set out on the quest that all great Niagara Falls explorers yearn for, a ride on the Maid of the Mist, or what we affectionately call “The Blue Man Boat Group.” Everyone gets a blue plastic poncho to wear and from a distance it is quite entertaining to watch all these little ant-like people all wearing blue be herded onto a double-decked boat for the opportunity to see the falls up close and get wet from the spray of the falls. We were like many as the lure to get close to the tumbling water was too great to resist. We thoroughly enjoyed the outing.

Afterwards, we took a stroll the promenade and snapped hundreds more pictures of the falls and the people who came from afar to look at the never ending flow of water. We saw people from all the many corners of the world, all here for the same reason, to look at the marveling cascade.

Now, while we don’t go in for the night life that the area provides, there is one place we found that is sure to impress, a Hershey Chocolate Store. It’s got it all, a 5 pound Hershey bar, a $10 Reese’s cup, T-shirts, mugs, and even Oh Henry bars. Needless to say we dropped some cash on this place and made off with some fine chocolate for later…..

Dinner that night was at the Sheraton which was okay, but you couldn’t beat the view!

On Sunday night there was a very nice fireworks display that we took in from the comfort of our room. Seems that once the weather warms they shoot off a display on Friday and Sunday nights. You never seem to tire of watching the spectacular pyrotechnics.

The next morning we awoke leisurely and then decided that on the way back we would stop at the Falls Clock, which is an impressive floral display about 5 km up the road from the Falls. The clock is actually part of the local hydro electric power company. It is about 30 x 30 ft. and is well maintained. We even had the chance to talk with a woman who was doing some flower maintenance due to a rogue mouse.

A few great pictures later and we headed back to “The Burgh.’

If you go to Niagara Falls we recommend staying at the Sheraton as the view was terrific and we recommend spending the extra money for the falls view room. We enjoyed looking at the falls from our room and listening to the sound all night long.

Thanks for coming along with us to one of the quintessential tourist spots in North America!







Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

The American FallsThe American Falls
The American Falls

Beauty and Power
A View to RememberA View to Remember
A View to Remember

Take it all in from the Skytower
HardRockHardRock
HardRock

They seem to be everywhere now.


28th May 2009

Felt like i was there
MJ I really wish there was more money in travel writing, because you're great at it! I saw them when i was so young i couldn't remember how stunning they themselves actually are. Time to travel more again :-)
7th February 2010

Niagara Gems !!
I really enjoyed your photos and vivid description of the Falls. I am travelling to visit the Falls in June. Your concise description really gives the real feeling of the area. I will be staying at the Shearaton - I might take your advice and upgrade to Falls view room as I am currently booked for a city view room. You didn't seem overly impressed with the standard of food in the Shearaton - you seemed to be in total awe of the views!
7th February 2010

upgrade
If you can upgrade to the Falls view room I do not think you will regret it. We loved having the window open and listening to the falls pound all night. It was therapeutic!!
10th December 2010

nice one
Hey, I enjoyed this. Including the photos. Thanks for sharing this, MJ! Will let u know when I swing by your area...... :)

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb