two more sleeps till we are B.C. bound!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nunavut » Iqaluit
August 26th 2009
Published: August 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We are very lucky because our weather has been pretty warm over the last couple of weeks. The temperature actually reached 14C the other day. But I have to say that we have had a couple of cooler/cold days when the north wind blows. The mosquitoes actually hung in there until about a week ago. When Michael and I were walking out at the park the mosquitoes loved us. Luckily at the very last minute before leaving for our hike I threw my mosquito jacket/hood in my pack and Michael put the bug spray in his pack. I was very happy to put on the jacket because there wasn't a lot of wind to help us get rid of the blood thirsty varmints!!!! We walked around the park and then went over to the falls on the Sylvia Grinnell River where Inuit of all ages were snagging the arctic char at the mouth of the river and the sportfishers were fishing with lures just outside the 25 yard boundary. It looked like everyone was successful in catching some nice sized char. They weighed 2 - 3 pounds and up but the only thing Michael and I found to feed us were the berries, which were plentiful along our walk. Blueberries, blackberries/crowberries and bearberries which we had to pick by running the back of our hand flat aqainst the ground and pull upwards with our fingers clasp together or we had the option to pick at them daintily from the top (a very time consuming task). I thought they were quite thirst quenching but it would take a long time to satisfy our appetites. The fall colours are starting to come along with the colder weather too. It is so very beautiful out on the land at this time of year.

Last weekend Michael and I walked about 2 kilometers from our place to see Iqaluit's very first Air Show. (see pics) We had a few government dignitaries, namely Peter Mackay from Ottawa and a couple of our local territorial leaders too. The main focus of the show was promoting northern sovereignty. (The armed forces, the navy and the air force were all here these past several weeks and during Stephen Harper's and his cabinet's visit to Iqaluit.) It was really interesting talking to the various pilots of all the different aircraft. My favourite was the CF18, Canada's fighter jet. Each jet costs a staggering 43 million dollars to build. The pilot of this particular aircraft was only 30 years old but obviously very competent. Each person that we spoke to was very friendly and full of information and answered all of our questions so we learned alot about the aircraft that were on display. It was quite a cold day to stand around looking and talking about aircraft so I was very happy that I had decided to wear my long underwear for the first time since being back in the Arctic. Now I was feeling more at home. heh! heh!

I am sure I/we will be getting out for a couple of more walks before we leave on Friday but I/we have had a great summer in one of Canada's beautiful arctic communities. I feel very blessed to be up here once again and look forward to perhaps returning next spring/summer. Bye for now, see you when we get back home! Thank you again for all your notes, letters and comments on the blog, I really looked forward to hearing from you. Love Marj and Michael too!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Dash 7 Dash 7
Dash 7

Peter Mackay was promoting this plane which monitors the area 320 km offshore for any pollution activity during the summer. In the winter this same aircraft monitors the waters of the Great Lakes in Ontario
First Air ATR Turbo prop planeFirst Air ATR Turbo prop plane
First Air ATR Turbo prop plane

this aircraft travels to the smaller communities. We generally fly in a 727 jet up to Iqaluit. It is a 3 hour 5 minute flight from Ottawa. First Air was one of the sponsors of the Air Show. Canadian North also flies a similar aircraft from Montreal to Iqaluit in about the same.
caribou picture on the tail of the planecaribou picture on the tail of the plane
caribou picture on the tail of the plane

there are also inukshuks and muskoxes painted on some of their other aircraft
the two CF18the two CF18
the two CF18

and other maneouvers
some of our Arctic Rangers taking a breaksome of our Arctic Rangers taking a break
some of our Arctic Rangers taking a break

The Arctic Rangers were teaching the armed forces troops about survival and on the land activities near Iqaluit for the last several weeks they have been posted here.
one of the Rangers skinning a ring sealone of the Rangers skinning a ring seal
one of the Rangers skinning a ring seal

and sharing the meat with anyone that wanted some. Seal meat to the Inuit is like beef or pork to us southerners


27th August 2009

bye bye Iqaluit pic
Your last picture 'bye bye Iqaluit' made me so sad that the tears flooded out of my eyes. It must be so sad to leave such a breathtaking place. Now to leave there and enjoy the other side of Canada/Alaska. See you soon!!!!! ooo (these are hugs) DEB
27th August 2009

Beautiful flowers and country side!
Hi Marj and Mike. I always feel a bit sad when you are leaving the Arctic because you do not have as much time in BC to write Marj and we lose touch a bit! Your pictures are just beautiful, every time, and they make me a bit home sick? But of course it will be nice for you both to be home for a while with your family and so I wish you both well and God Bless you both. With love and hugs Pam xo
27th August 2009

Back on Quadra
I have so enjoyed your blogs over the summer. Thank you for sharing. I am on Quadra til Sunday (Aug 30). When are you back?
27th August 2009

Rangers
I think the idea of recruiting from the north is great as long as they are not recruiting to go to Afghanistan. Sunsets are beautiful.
27th August 2009

Homeward bound
Marj and Mike, it has been wonderful following your adventures over the summer as well as enjoying the superb pictures. Look forward to a visit when you return.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb