last days of summer in Iqaluit


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nunavut » Iqaluit
August 10th 2009
Published: August 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Arctic CottonArctic CottonArctic Cotton

at eye level
Well my time in the arctic is quickly coming to an end for yet another year. I can't believe I/we will be leaving here in a little over a couple of weeks. Mind you Michael will be heading back to Ottawa in late September for a couple of weeks and then back here to Iqaluit in early October until December. That is, after we have gone on an Alaskan Cruise to Glacier Bay with my folks, my sister, Catherine and her hubby Edward and my brother, Alvin. Yeah, there's nothing like leaving the eastern Arctic to go and visit the western Arctic eh? We are starting to get pretty excited about the trip! We are taking this trip to celebrate my Dad and Mom's upcoming 60th wedding anniversary on April 10, 2010.

Things have cooled down substantially here and we are getting rain every other day which is welcome because of the dust that traffic kicks up. Having said that, more and more streets are now paved since I last wrote in this blog. The flowers are changing rapidly now that the cooler weather is here too. When I went out for a hike this past Saturday I actually ate some crowberries for the first time this year which were very small and very sweet. There were also some bearberries but they were mostly green with a few partially red ones that were rather dry and tastless to me. Some of the foliage is beginning to turn colour and the mosquitoes are still hanging in there. I would imagine they will be gone in another week or so and by then the foliage will be brilliant with the fall colours, I can't wait!

On one of our walks around town and down to a new causeway (built only 4 years ago) Michael and I happened upon an old friend, Glen Williams, getting back from a seal hunting trip (he and his wife actually bought our house here in Iqaluit) Glen had caught 3 harp seals and he and another fellow were skinning them down at the dock. These particular seals were going to feed some sled dogs. The people prefer the ring seals for themselves as they are smaller animals and I would guess better tasting. (see pics) The young kids are so friendly and a couple of the young boys tried out my smaller camera and so I managed to take a picture of two of them (see pic). We saw some of these kids throwing rocks in to the ocean at the arctic cod that had been chased closer into the bay and along the causeway by some seals. Of course they were harmless doing this because the fish are a lot faster and can dive deep very quickly. The evening was just beautiful with the water on the bay looking like glass and the reflections of the boats were very striking to look at too. It was nearly dark by the time we got home and we were rewarded with a view of an almost full moon in the night sky. Everytime we look out the dining room window, the ocean and the sky provide us with yet another extraordinary view. We are so lucky to have found this apartment to rent. Hope everyone is happy and healthy! bye for now!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



10th August 2009

Your pictures are spectacular Marj!
12th August 2009

thank you
thank you so much for sharing the lovely time you are having in the Arctic. Your commentary compliments your beautiful photos perfectly. Pam

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb