Happy Nunavut Day!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nunavut » Iqaluit
July 9th 2009
Published: July 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We just keep celebrating throughout the month of July. We ended up celebrating the 10th anniversary of Nunavut Day here on July 9th. Michael and I enjoyed this day together. The morning started with a pancake breakfast served by members of the Legislature, namely our Premier, Eva Aariak. It was a really warm day, so warm Michael actually wore his shorts. (see picture) During the afternoon we listened to the Premier, Eva Arriak, an old friend and neighbour of ours when we lived up here over 13 years ago. We also listened to some other government officials, namely, Leona Aglukkaq, Nunavut MP and our own local Mayor, Elisapee Sheutiapik too. There was an afternoon barbeque complete with several beautifully decorated cakes. See the picture of Michael in front of the flowers on the trailer? Yes they were all grown here in Iqaluit, although it was in our community greenhouse. Michael insisted I get a picture to show everyone down south. heh! heh! Later there was music for everyone to listen to and of course no real Canadian celebration is complete without playing hockey (see pics). They even had a inflated house with slides etc.. for the wee ones. (see more pics)

I am also including some pictures I took when I went out on yet another hike to Apex the following weekend with my new walking buddy, Denise. We took a cab out to a park just outside of Apex (about 5 km) from Iqaluit. We had a wonderful time and the weather was still cooperating with us as there just enough wind to keep most of the mosquitoes away. We don't get black flies here, so we are very lucky but, with global warming who knows if that will be the case in a few years??? Yikes, a horrid thought eh? Anyway we had packed a lunch and spent just over 4 hours out there walking, talking, eating but best of all, taking tons of pictures! Yummmy, both Denise and I were in our glory. Anyway enjoy the pictures and talk to you all again soon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



23rd July 2009

Nunavut
Thank you for the lovely pictures, what a wonderful place to be during the summer, I love the scene and the walking trail,Its beautiful, and everybody involvem

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb