LUNENBURG, NS: What does a distillery & a blacksmith have in common???


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Lunenburg
June 28th 2011
Published: June 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

In a word? Bliss. Ironworks Distillery is set up in the old Blacksmith Shop in Lunenburg on 2 Kempt Street. It is a small artisanal distillery, which is not only absolutely gorgeous to be in, but (perhaps even better for some) the spirits they distill are exceptionally high quality — mind blowing, actually. Their blueberry liqueur is made from Nova Scotian blueberries and tastes .. well, like a mouthful of liquid blueberries that warms you to your toes. You prefer something a little more tarte? Try the cranberry liquere. The berries are grown just down the road at the Terra Beata Cranberry Bog (you can visit them too, if you like – Evelyn & David Ernst are always happy to show people around). They have rum made from all natural Caribbean molasses, vodka made from Annapolis Valley Apples (Yes! Apples – not potatoes); Eaux de Vie (fruit brandy) made from Annapolis Valley apples and pears; and finally Apple Brandy.

All products are there for you to taste … and I dare you to try it and not buy it. It’s unbelievable, and so incredibly unique! Talk about a Nova Scotian experience! And just there, right up by the cash register, in a small wooden barrel, are dark chocolates filled with some of their liqueurs. OMGoodness they are fantastic.

Even if alchohol isn’t your thing, you really need to visit Ironworks Distillery in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia. It’s beautiful … a gleaming gem hidden inside an old wooden building with a long history you can feel as soon as you walk in the door.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb