Our Last Day in Baddeck


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Cape Breton » Baddeck
September 26th 2006
Published: October 8th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Gerry's SpotGerry's SpotGerry's Spot

Gerry loved this cleared area of land up on the hillside. We had seen this from the town before but we were able to get a little closer once we were on the sailboat.
Our day started by taking a sailing tour on the Bras d'Or Lakes around the Baddeck shoreline. We were able to see Alexander Graham Bell's home which is on a secluded and gated island just off shore from Baddeck. The grand home is currently occupied by The Bells' grand-daughter, Mabel (named after his wife) who is 101 years old. This is the closest view anyone can get to the home. Our captain stated that he had the privilege of touring the home once. We sailed around for about two hours taking in the scenery and enjoying Baddeck from a different point of view.

While we were on the boat, two bald eagles began circling the boat. The captain said that they do this quite often and so he threw them some fish. It was quite amazing to see these beautiful creatures dive down into the water to retrieve the fish.

We decided to have lunch at the Bell Buoy on the water. It was a nice spot overlooking the lake. Then we headed across the street to the Alexander Graham Bell Museum. There were so many things we learned about the man. We had no idea that he did
Bell HouseBell HouseBell House

View of Alexander Graham Bell's home from the boat.
more than just invent the telephone! His family originally built their home in Baddeck as a summer home to escape the hustle and bustle of Washington, D.C. but as time went on the home became their permanent residence. His wife Mabel was deaf and he devoted much time to her. It just so happens, his mother was deaf as well and his father invented a language for the deaf which allowed them to speak. Obviously, the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Mr. and Mrs. Bell spent much time in Baddeck and on the lake with their children and grandchildren. They are buried on the Bell property in Baddeck.

We had dinner at the Village Kitchen in the town. This is absolutely the best spot in Baddeck if you're looking for "regular" food (what you're used to at home). From the outside it looked simply like an ordinary diner but on the inside it was really quite surprising; completely decorated with lavendars and purples and lots of flowers (though not fancy at all). It was also very busy which was a good sign.

We enjoyed the town very much although internet connection was a bit sparse. Cannon
First Montessori School in Nova ScotiaFirst Montessori School in Nova ScotiaFirst Montessori School in Nova Scotia

The Bell's were big proponents of the Montessori method of learning. They believed that children should learn by doing. This school was started by Mabel Bell.
enjoyed it but was glad to hear that we were returning to "civilization" the next day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Bald Eagle Swooping InBald Eagle Swooping In
Bald Eagle Swooping In

If you look on the right side of the photo you can see the Bald Eagle swooping in to catch the fish.


Tot: 0.283s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 79; dbt: 0.2397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb