Acadian Peninsula


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » New Brunswick » Shediac
September 8th 2013
Published: September 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Acadian FlagAcadian FlagAcadian Flag

This is flown at almost every home and every public place on the Acadian peninsula of New Brunswick and the eastern shore of NB. It is the French flag with a yellow star, the yellow represents the pope.
We hated to leave our great motel in Bathurst, best room we've had the entire trip and nicest owner ever.

As we drove around the pretty Acadian peninsula, we learned a lot of the Acadian history from the friendly locals that were happy to visit with us. I won't make you learn it too, but I will just say that the British sure treated the French Acadian people terribly in the 1700's and they were strong and survived. In this area of New Brunswick, the Acadian people are extremely proud of their heritage and almost every home flies the special Acadian flag and the homes are often decorated with other Acadian ornaments, banners, and colors. We thought once we got out of Quebec that we'd be done with the French language. But, in this part of New Brunswick all we see is French. In the tourist pamphlets the mayor's messages are in French. And continuing a conversation I had with my Aunt Donna regarding the French near our hometown in Kansas, the French people that do speak English here speak with the same pronunciation patterns that many in Damar and Zurich used when I was growing up. A lady at
Acadian Telephone PolesAcadian Telephone PolesAcadian Telephone Poles

Seems like everything in sight is painted with the Acadian colors and star.
a lighthouse today..."If you turn down dat road you will find anudder place to see duh birds, but dis is duh best place."

The drive around the peninsula was pretty, lots of homes with large green lawns with nary a blade of grass out of place. Many of the lawns had large fishing nets spread out on them, maybe to check for damage? The towns were normal looking, lacking the charm of the homes in all the villages on the Gaspesie Peninsula. We saw a lot of peat bogs and learned about the peat industry. We went birding on a few boardwalks but didn't see anything very interesting. There are two islands that are reached by causeways and we drove to the very end of the last one, Miscou, and ended up at ...a LIGHTHOUSE. What a shocker that was. It is the oldest operating wooden lighthouse in Canada. Are you impressed? After we left the peninsula, the drive became tedious with nothing but road and trees for about an hour, we could have been anywhere.

We are now in Shediac, a lovely town on the Northumberland Strait, the water between Prince Edward Island and New Brunswick. We
Acadian HomeAcadian HomeAcadian Home

We think this home owner got carried away with his Acadian decorations.
had dinner at The Green House on main street. Joe had steak and lobster and I had seafood chowder, all reasonably priced and delicious. Sounds like a lazy day, eh?

Happy birthday to my younger brother, Dan! Wishing I could be with him in person to celebrate his day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Lameque IslandLameque Island
Lameque Island

Reached by causeway from the mainland.
New Brunswick FlagNew Brunswick Flag
New Brunswick Flag

Joe at the lighthouse, giving the New Brunswick flag some attention.
Peat Bog Walkway, Lameque, NBPeat Bog Walkway, Lameque, NB
Peat Bog Walkway, Lameque, NB

One of the board walkways we walked looking for birds.
Peat BogPeat Bog
Peat Bog

We saw big brown piles of peat, that was harvested from these bogs.
New Brunswick Highway 11New Brunswick Highway 11
New Brunswick Highway 11

Not a lot to look at.
The Green House, ShediacThe Green House, Shediac
The Green House, Shediac

Great food and service.


9th September 2013

Great job,Judy. Am loving every word.
Ooooouuuu! I love the sunset picture. Suitable for a frame!! What a great trip.
9th September 2013

Sunset
Lois, I loved that pastel sunset or was it a sunrise photo you posted the other day on FB.
9th September 2013

Memories
Brings back memories of my days on Cape Cod for four years. Lovely photos.
9th September 2013

Cape Cod
Tom, we are thinking of going there on this trip. If you have any good suggestions for what to do or not to do in the Boston area shoot me an email if you have time. Neither of us have spent any time there and don't have a clue what to do.
9th September 2013

Trop marrant!
Loved the lighthouse humor- The speech patterns are also commonly heard when French Canadian hockey players speak... very common in Denver, especially since pro and collegiate seasons are close ;-)
9th September 2013

Sunrise
We love going to the beach for breakfast this time of the year. Sunrises are just tremendous, day after day. Come down and enjoy!!!
10th September 2013

Florida
I keep thinking we'll get back to Florida sometime, so many places to go...love your photos.
9th September 2013

J & J Continue to love your write-up and your images (snobbery for photos). I wonder if New Brunswick is quite the same as New Foundland
10th September 2013

NB vs Newfoundland
Hopefully, we'll find out how these two provinces compare. We're trying to see if we can catch a ferry. The 11 hour one from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland is $1000, 7 hour one is much less but doesn't take you to St. John. We're looking at options. Any advice for Newfoundland? Did you guys make it to Labrador?
10th September 2013

Acadia
Where did 'our ' Canadian French in Rooks County come from__do we know? And how can anyone who grew up in Kansas not think that New Brunswick Hiway 11 is beautiful? Maybe I should send you pictures next weekend when we drive out to Hays and Palce.
10th September 2013

Kansas French
I was thinking the same thing about the Rooks County French, wondering where they came from. Were their ancestors the persecuted Acadians? Some of them ended up in Louisiana, why not Kansas? I will ask some of my hs friends from Damar. And regarding Highway 11 in NB, I would much rather looks at the scenery in Kansas than the same trees along a roadside for miles and miles. Just remembered I never did get the recipe for the 1000 Island Dressing for you. Will do.

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb