Belugas, Bears, Berries and Borealis.


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Manitoba » Churchill
August 22nd 2010
Published: August 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hello to all blog-readers.
The crystal clear water of the Churchill River is full of beluga whales. They are truly magical creatures with a high level of intelligence, a complex language, and a friendly curiosity towards us. It was an amazing experience to snorkel with them, being in the water with them as they swam beneath us, turning their heads to check us out.
We have also had some amazing displays of northern lights! Apparently, there was a huge explosion on the sun (even bigger than the normal huge explosions that constantly happen there) and the charged particles are giving us a dazzling light show!
We have had a busy few weeks, we had some family staying with us and another guest after that, and, with the exception of one of the worst summer storms on record, the weather has been relentlessly nice! The berries are out and Dave even made his first ever batch of fireweed jam! It turned out really good too!
D + T



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Rainbow over the graveyard.Rainbow over the graveyard.
Rainbow over the graveyard.

An odd looking rainbow with a very low angle.
A supernumerary rainbow.A supernumerary rainbow.
A supernumerary rainbow.

A supernumerary rainbow—aka, a stacker rainbow—is a rare phenomenon! It is basically several faint rainbows on the inside of the primary rainbow. Supernumerary rainbows have colour bands that do not fit the usual pattern, hence the extra greens and violets.
Christine on the ramparts.Christine on the ramparts.
Christine on the ramparts.

Fort Prince of Wales. On the western bank of the Churchill River.
Caribou.Caribou.
Caribou.

With an awesome set of antlers!
Aurora borealis.Aurora borealis.
Aurora borealis.

The northern lights put on a bit of a show for us!
Our harvest of wild strawberries.Our harvest of wild strawberries.
Our harvest of wild strawberries.

We also picked a fair few stemless raspberries too.
Searching for fossils.Searching for fossils.
Searching for fossils.

On the tidal flats at low tide.
Boreal wood frog.Boreal wood frog.
Boreal wood frog.

Not too common to spot frogs in these parts.
The Boreal forest.The Boreal forest.
The Boreal forest.

The boreal forest can be reached from Churchill by driving the 42 km to the end of the longest road in the area.


23rd August 2010

hi
I sure have a nice name, takes after aurora borealis. I tell the people I am the northern lights, they laugh, Have agood week MOM
9th December 2010
Belugas.

Belugas
The belugas are the most amazing whales. This picture makes the whales glow in the water and they look like glow sticks. We are learning that they blend well with the ice glaciers in the Artic

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb