More Fun in Churchill


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Manitoba » Churchill
July 10th 2010
Published: July 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Dwarf FireweedDwarf FireweedDwarf Fireweed

A wonderful splash of colour to the tundra.
Hi Everyone.
Usually, you could fire a canon ball down Churchill's main street and not hit a soul, but Kelsey Boulevard came alive on July 1st with a splendid parade! Many of the town's businesses participated and made for a fun morning. Shortly afterwards there was some live music, a BBQ in the town square and a frigid dip in the Arctic Ocean (hydrographically speaking).
The 'Bay Dip' involved teams of four to compete against each other in a relay to collect ribbons from a rope, and it was a true arctic experience and an exhilarating event!. The ribbons were put there at low tide, then, at high tide we had to go and retrieve them. This event was actually postponed last year because Hudson Bay was still frozen solid, the water this year was not far from being a solid though! The Tundra Buggy team won the event, so we have bragging rights until next year!
We have been seeing bears in the area recently too. We had a lone male close to our car by the side of the road and there's been a few sightings out on the tundra, east of town. We have counted over 70 types
Canada Day Parade.Canada Day Parade.Canada Day Parade.

Along Kelsey Boulevard.
of flowers that are blooming (or have bloomed) here in the last few weeks, it is an amazing display of colour that has to be seen to be believed!
A farewell to our Thunder Bay friends, Sarah and Winston who had a fun time in Churchill with us seeing the sights, experiencing bug jacket sunny days and saw the beluga whales by zodiac. We are still enjoying the fresh fruit and vegetables that they brought us from the south! Have fun at the Winnipeg Folk Festival!
The Churchillians,
Dave and Theresa


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Baby Buggy and Buggy Bear.Baby Buggy and Buggy Bear.
Baby Buggy and Buggy Bear.

Tundra Buggy won the prize for the "funniest float".
Samuel Hearn at the fort.Samuel Hearn at the fort.
Samuel Hearn at the fort.

Parks Canada won the award for the "best float". The story was told of the Fort Prince of Wales.
Buggy Bear.Buggy Bear.
Buggy Bear.

George and Dave with the Tundra Buggy mascot.
Our team for the bay dip!Our team for the bay dip!
Our team for the bay dip!

Dave, George, Tyler and Jay just before braving the ice cold water of Hudson Bay.
We won!We won!
We won!

The water actually didn't feel that cold! Apparently the water temperature was just under 2 degrees Celsius.
Kayak JackKayak Jack
Kayak Jack

entertaining Churchill on Canada Day
Bears on the RoadBears on the Road
Bears on the Road

A mother and her cub casually walk down the road.
Summer FrolickSummer Frolick
Summer Frolick

A local girl enjoys the town beach with her family.
Our visitors from TBayOur visitors from TBay
Our visitors from TBay

Sarah and Winston came to visit for a Churchill experience.
Mom and 2 cubsMom and 2 cubs
Mom and 2 cubs

A summer swim on a summer's day in Churchill (5 degrees Celcius)


11th July 2010

Nice job Dave!
Dave, great job winning the polar bear dip. Must have been some shrinkage in the event, I'm sure. Thanks for the wonderful update! Bob
11th July 2010

nice
Hi you two, very nice pictures of the bears, and good swimming, Love you MOM
12th July 2010

once again
Once Again I enjoyed your fabulous pictures

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb