Nature's Music


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia
June 5th 2009
Published: June 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Mehan LakeMehan LakeMehan Lake

Scratch
We arrived in Dease Lake and decided it wasn't worth the time. So we set out for an adventurous side trip. We drove 80 miles on a dirt road to Telegraph Creek. We camped at a First Nation fishing camp. The water was too high for the fishing to be any good, so we were the only ones there. We camped a few feet away from where the Dodjatin Creek joined the Stikine river. Both rhe creek and the river were running so fast, we watched entire trees being swept downstream. We were surrounded by Nature's music: the running water flowing downstream, the wind blowing through the leaves of the quaking aspens, the caw of the birds nesting in the canyon walls and the ocassional buzz of a hummingbird or bee buzzing from wildflower to wildflower. It was so serene, I could hardly stay awake.
Some young Tahtlin (local natives) came by to check thier fishing nets and sold us a nice fresh salmon. We roughed it that night and had grilled Salmon, marinated calimari and thai vegetable salad, broccoli and a nice bottle of Yellow Tail wine. We camp in style!
I took some pictuces of the road driving in...
Mehan LakeMehan LakeMehan Lake

Lunch stop
It has up to a 20% grade, steep drop-offs and switchback turns. Yolanda, you wold have hated it! The views were incredible because you had canyons on each side of the road. It is known as The Grand Canyon of the Stikine. We spent 2 nights there and drove into Watson Lake today. We are finally on the ALaska Highway! This campground is the pits! But, we needed showers, laundry and the internet. Our cell phones won't work, my pin # on my ATM card won't work, so we need to make some phone calls in the morning. By the way, sunset is at 11:17 and sunrise at 3:46. Here are some more great pictures. Everyday the scereny is just fantastic. It is hard to even read the guidebook, you don't want to take your eyes off of the views! We are heading out in the morning for another side trip to Atlin. Then onto Haines and Skagway and we are planning to take the Marine ferry out of Haines to Cordova. Scratch is doing well, but heis a real bed hog!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Dodjatin CreekDodjatin Creek
Dodjatin Creek

The water was running so fast, it was rolling boulders!
Stikine CanyonStikine Canyon
Stikine Canyon

Telegraph Creek road
Fishing boomFishing boom
Fishing boom

The tahtlin use these booms to hold thier nets
Camping in StyleCamping in Style
Camping in Style

Grilled Salmon and Wine
Stikine RiverStikine River
Stikine River

Telegraph Creek Road
Steep RoadsSteep Roads
Steep Roads

20% grade
steep dropoffssteep dropoffs
steep dropoffs

No gaurdrails here


7th June 2009

Wow, what beautiful pictures! It looks like Scratch is enjoying himself too. You all seem to be having a wonderful trip. I would love to be able to do that someday! Drive safely!

Tot: 0.405s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1897s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb