Victoria BC to Triton Cove WA


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Victoria
March 30th 2010
Published: April 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Victoria - Pt. Angeles


Laurel Point (right) and downtown VictoriaLaurel Point (right) and downtown VictoriaLaurel Point (right) and downtown Victoria

MV Coho is leaving Victoria's inner harbour, with Laurel Point at right and downtown in the background.
INTO THE UNKNOWN:
This is going to be a trip into the (partially) unknown. What I do know is that I need to return by the end of April to start my summer job as a Victoria Harbour Ferry skipper. What I don't know is how long it will take to reach Los Angeles, and if there will be time to carry on eastward into the desert states with their Native American cultures which fascinate me so. My travel companion, Kathryn, and I are planning to meander down the Oregon coast in her burgundy VW Westfalia camper van to eventually end up in her hometown of Venice Beach, CA.

PORT ANGELES:
We're taking the MV Coho vehicle/passenger ferry across Juan de Fuca Straight to Port Angeles, WA. Want to find a higher elevation to get a view of the town below and Vancouver Island on the other side of the water, from where we just came. We stop near a wooded hilltop. It looks like a park, but it's more than just that. It houses the Port Angeles Art Gallery surrounded by "art trails" with outdoor installations tucked away in the forest and at nearly every bend in the path.
An umbrella in the forest?An umbrella in the forest?An umbrella in the forest?

One of many sculptures at Port Angeles' art walk.


PORT TOWNSEND:
From her co-workers Kathryn had heard much good about Port Townsend, and she wants to see it before we continue south. I am not keen on making a 40 km detour up the peninsula and back so soon after starting our voyage. And we nearly turn back when a hail storm leaves the road covered inches deep in slush with cascading rivulets where cars have left tire tracks. But what a charming place the town turns out to be -- the downtown core with many 19th century buildings stretches along the waterfront, bordered by a shipyard on one side and a small boat harbour with wooden boat building school on the other. The residential area on a bluff above the town features mostly well-kept houses with lots of individual flair -- from old villas to funky cedar structures -- often side by side. For all concerned I hope that the prevailing winds keep Port Townsend clear of the ill odours the nearby pulp mill produces.

Returning to the highway we later continue along the eastern edge of Olympic National Park. At a Triton State Park -- a picnic spot with boat launch, we park the camper
Point Hudson MarinaPoint Hudson MarinaPoint Hudson Marina

at the north end of downtown Port Townsend, is also home of the Northwest Maritime Center and Wooden Boat Foundation.
van, pop up the top, and settle for the night. Fortunately, probably because it's still early in the season, no park warden appears to tell us that, because of some obscure regulation, no overnight parking is permitted.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Rose TheatreRose Theatre
Rose Theatre

From box office to concession stand (pictured here), this meticulously restored heritage cinema gives patrons a feel of days gone by.
Subway entrance?Subway entrance?
Subway entrance?

No, walk-down to the Undertown Café.


Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0648s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb