A Wobbly Bridge and Impressive Views


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Vancouver » North Vancouver
September 20th 2013
Published: September 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

A wee bit wobbly!A wee bit wobbly!A wee bit wobbly!

Lynn Canyon Suspension Bridge
September 17, 2013 – North Vancouver



After a delicious breakfast of waffles (!) we all head out over Lions Gate Bridge and to Lynn Canyon Park, in particular the Suspension Bridge that hangs 50 metres above Lynn Creek, the height of a 15 story building.

Originally people crossed over the creek on a log suspended above the canyon. Then, when the park opened in 1912, it was hoped the bridge would become a tourist attraction. Visitors paid 10 cents to cross the bridge. Today it’s free which makes it one of the few attractions to have dropped in price! And one of even fewer attractions around Vancouver that’s free!

It also makes it a much better option than Capilano Suspension Bridge, which would cost our family over C$100 and be way more crowded to boot.

We loved Lynn Canyon when we lived here and would bring our visitors here instead of Capilano, even when, back then, Capilano wasn’t quite the expensive tourist magnet it is today. (O.K. so it supposedly offers an array of other things to justify the fee but at the end of the day it’s another suspension bridge and we don’t like
New Growth on Old GrowthNew Growth on Old GrowthNew Growth on Old Growth

Lynn Canyon, North Vancouver
crowds).

The bridge swings precariously as we walk across, making taking the odd photo quite tricky. But it’s good fun and a nice view down – unless you’re acrophobic that is.

The walk on the other side – Twin Falls Loop Trail – is yet another wonderfully atmospheric wander through lush green fern and moss covered forest. The sun tries its best to peer through the broken cloud, occasionally getting a look in and casting a beautiful light down through the canopy above, picking out the odd tree and the bridge over the falls and bathing them in a glorious light. The camera comes out with more frequency than it has over the last couple of days.

After a very nice coffee back at the café (siphon dripped - a new one on us) we drive back over the Second Narrows Bridge and head up to Burnaby Mountain for one of the best views back down over Vancouver. Steve used to work on the mountain so this drive always brings back memories.

The sun is now trying extra hard and the mountains are finally beginning to reappear. We can look down onto Vancouver and – well,
Lush Temperate RainforestLush Temperate RainforestLush Temperate Rainforest

Lynn Canyon, North Vancouver
see it! It’s a beautiful sight. It’s not difficult to truly admire the beauty of this city from here and its amazing location, surrounded by so much water with the impressive mountains as a backdrop.

To the right is another fabulous view, this one of mountainous Indian Arm to the north. Indian Arm is a steep-sided glacial fjord, formed during the last ice age and extends north from Burrard Inlet through North Vancouver and into mountainous wilderness. There are no crossings and road access is limited to the communities at the bottom. It’s only because the steep mountain slopes are so impassable that there’s little development, despite being so close to a major city.

Burnby Mountain is also home to an impressive collection of Ainu totem pole-like carvings which commemorate the goodwill between Burnaby and its sister city, Kushiro, Japan. The Ainu are an indigenous people in Japan and these poles – also called the Playground of the Gods – represent the story of the gods who descended to earth to give birth to the Ainu. Another version of a creation story basically.

The boys manage to find a playground to run off a bit of excess
The familyThe familyThe family

Lynn Canyon, North Vancouver
energy in before we all head back into downtown, getting a little snarled up in the inevitable traffic that is Vancouver.

That evening we eat in an Italian Restaurant on Davis called Café Luxy and are suitably impressed. My linguine with salmon in a dill sauce is especially tasty and despite the large portions we manage to polish off our meals. And what I love about North America? Had we not managed to finish we could have taken a doggy bag!

It’s Mum and Dad’s last evening although we’ll have a full day tomorrow as they don’t fly out until late. They’ll be sad to leave Canada and we’ll be sad to see them go. We’ve very much enjoyed their company.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Flower SculptureFlower Sculpture
Flower Sculpture

Burnaby Mountain, Vancouver
Indian ArmIndian Arm
Indian Arm

North Vancouver
Playground of the GodsPlayground of the Gods
Playground of the Gods

Burnaby Mountain, Vancouver
Playground of the GodsPlayground of the Gods
Playground of the Gods

Burnaby Mountain, Vancouver


1st October 2013

It looks like you are all having a lovely time. Some lovely photo's including Brenda, Peter, Sam and Matthew. I am enjoying readying all your travel stories. x x
4th October 2013

Hi Suzanne, thanks for your lovely comments. I have to be honest it does take rather a long time to type it all but I think it will be worth it to have a diary like this when we're home (which is getting horribly close!!). Love to all the family. Sharon x

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0561s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb