Background: A land of vast distances and rich natural resources, Canada became a self-governing dominion in 1867 while retaining ties to the British crown. Economically and technologically the nation has developed in parallel with the US, its neighbor to the south across an unfortified border. Canada's paramount political problem is meeting public demands for quality improvements in health care and education services after a decade of budget cuts. The issue of reconciling Quebec's francophone heritage with the majority anglophone Canadian population has moved to the back burner in recent years; support for separatism abated after the Quebec government's referendum on independence failed to pass in October of 1995.
Photos from Smithers
Blogs from Smithers
Latest Blogs from Smithers
- July 25th 2013 Smithers
by Words: 113 Photos: 0
- August 8th 2011 Iskut & Smithers British Columbia
by Words: 236 Photos: 23
- July 18th 2010 Days 1 & 2 ......getting used to travelling again!
by Words: 401 Photos: 0
- September 17th 2009 Day 24 - Dease Lake, BC to Smithers, BC
by Words: 956 Photos: 9
- September 4th 2009 North from Smithers BC
by Words: 169 Photos: 3
- September 2nd 2009 Sojourn in Smithers, BC
by Words: 157 Photos: 1
- August 30th 2009 Day 6 - Prince George, BC to Smithers, BC
by Words: 734 Photos: 10
- June 25th 2007 My spirit has grown wings
by Words: 2801 Photos: 17
- April 10th 2007 Evelyn Mountain snowshoe
by Words: 232 Photos: 1
- October 16th 2006 The wait
by Words: 63 Photos: 1
- July 29th 2006 Day ....7?
by Words: 158 Photos: 0
- July 28th 2006 Road Trip - Calgary to Smithers, BC
by Words: 625 Photos: 25
- June 4th 2006 Rebel Yell.
by Words: 1435 Photos: 17