HAZELTON TO PRINCE GEORGE


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Prince George
August 16th 2011
Published: August 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

2011-08-15 Stewart to Hazelton, BC
The community of Hazelton sits at the confluence of the Bulkley and Skeena Rivers. Our campground for the night was at the ‘Ksan Village and Museum. It is a reconstruction of the traditional Gitxsan Village which has stood at this site for centuries. There are 7 traditionally styled cedar longhouses, as well as various totem poles and dugout canoes. On the way into the village and campground you cross the Bulkley River on a single lane bridge high above the canyon and river. Originally this was just a suspension bridge with rough timber for the deck of the bridge. It would have taken a lot of nerve to have crossed the bridge at that time. Now it is made of concrete and steel which feels much safer. Another interesting place was the Visitor’s Center with 3 statues representing the gold rush packer, Cataline, the Northwest miner and the Upper Skeena logger.

2011-08-16 Hazelton to Prince George, BC
After spending several weeks in the wilderness, today we get back into civilization with good roads, traffic lights, and larger towns. Our drive down Hwy. 16 through Smithers, Houston, Burns Lake, Vanderhoof and into Prince George took us away from the mountains and through rich farmland. This is our last night with the caravan group so we celebrated with a “Farewell Dinner” at the Log House Guesthouse on Tabor Lake. It has been a remarkable trip with a unique group of people who have laughed together, helped each other in times of need, mixed well (no cliques) and have bonded together as a group of friends. It is difficult to say “good-bye” but we can keep in touch through email, cards etc. and a plan has been put in place to have a reunion in 2 years. So now we all head our separate ways, heading home. I think we will be the first to actually reach home!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.198s; Tpl: 0.025s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0786s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb