So Long Fernie!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » British Columbia » Fernie
November 30th 2008
Published: December 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Once again I need to be beaten for slacking off again in terms of Blog updates. Anne and I are still in Fernie, but sadly, today is our last day! Tomorrow we leave for 3 months in Scotland prior to heading to the Balkans. Fernie has been our home for the last 18 months, and whilst we are sad to go, we are excited about our next adventure.

We have had a terrific time over the last 3 months since our last post. We took another jaunt into the 'wilderness' with Ian to Glacier National Park. A beautiful place, but alas we were socked in with alot of fog and rain, so we missed many of the vista's. Good times are always had with good friends, so we had a blast.

Toronto and Niagara Falls was also one of the highlights. Toronto is a fantastic city, with an awesome atmosphere. Anne and I both competed in the Toronto Waterfront Marathon, with Anne finishing her first Half Marathon. We spent a few days in town, and then headed to Niagara Falls, which is even more awesome live than in the movies ( and wetter too!). Anyone heading to this area must also check out a little town not far from the falls, known as Niagara on the Lake.

After Anne's first Half marathon, enthusiasm overtook her, and she also competed in the Fernie 1/2 marathon a week later. We were both still pretty worn out, and unfortunatley after 11km, Anne had to pull out from an injury sustained the previous week. A valiant effort - I missed the race entirely due to tiredness.

It has been interesting times both politically and finacially over the last few months. Living in North America during the US elections made for some very interesting insights into their electoral process. Anne and I have also had to become foreign exchange traders with the Aussie dollar perfroming so poorly.

We have been very busy the last few months, and especially the last couple of weeks with saying goodbyes, organising flights for us and the dogs (what a nightmare), and packing. We were thinking conservatively in terms of 'stuff' when we arrived, however what was 13 boxes of 'necessities' on arrival has turned into 40 boxes being shipped to Bulgaria, and 4 boxes and 4 suitcases to Scotland. Don't ask me what's in them!
Glacier National ParkGlacier National ParkGlacier National Park

The campsite, along with the "Frederica Bimmel" van


Construction in Bulgaria is progressing very quickly now. It looks like all will be complete within the next few months, barring any extreme temperatures or excessive snow dumps.

We hope all of our friends in Australia are keeping well in these interesting times. We miss you guys. So long to our old and new found friends in Fernie. We hope to see you again soon!






Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Glacier National ParkGlacier National Park
Glacier National Park

Anne thinking about alternative sleeping arrangements
Toronto MarathonToronto Marathon
Toronto Marathon

Before the Gun
Toronto MarathonToronto Marathon
Toronto Marathon

After the Finish...wasted
Toronto MarathonToronto Marathon
Toronto Marathon

After the Finish...Fresh and Spry! How did she do that?
Niagara FallsNiagara Falls
Niagara Falls

On "Maid of the Mist" Tug
Niagara on the LakeNiagara on the Lake
Niagara on the Lake

A great historic town, with the Prince of Wales hotel representing the typical architecture
Fernie Trail SystemFernie Trail System
Fernie Trail System

So long for now...
Borovetz ChaletBorovetz Chalet
Borovetz Chalet

Laying the roofing - I know how to do that!
Veliko TurnovoVeliko Turnovo
Veliko Turnovo

The roof is almost on...


Tot: 0.285s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0615s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb