January 12th, 2013 - 1st Day in Delhi


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta
January 12th 2013
Published: January 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Why are the seats so small, yet the plane is so big? We were crammed in there like sardines it seemed, for yet the 2nd and equally long leg of our journey to India.

There was a huge collective sigh of relief from all when the Travel company greeter met us at the airport with the sign that read "Frenette" party. Not that he doubted Doug's ability to plan this, but in the back of the 5 Women's minds, well, need we say more.

We boarded the small shuttle bus and made our harrowing way to the Shangri-La Hotel. We made it safely and were relieved to know we'd be settling in for a few days. It is important to note the level of security that met us upon arrival. We first entered the gated hotel and were stopped by 3 officers, who searched the vehicle. Upon every entry into the hotel, the bags are searched by a security scanner, with the third and final process of walking through a metal detector.

After a couple of hours rest, we began our first adventure into the city. The 6 of us shared two tuk tuk's which are small motorized 3 wheeled vehicles that are a common method of transportation in the city. Driving is a story unto itself. If the food doesn't get you, the driving will. It is not for the weak willed. Hold on tight, and just trust that they know what they re doing, because they do.

We stopped at Central Craft Cottage Industries and Art India and made our first purchases of the trip. The shop owners insisted we all get donned with traditional Indian sari's at no obligation to buy, but it was a slow night for them and we were up for our first photo op.

We had the nicest drivers in Delhi. They offered to wait for us at every stop including a stop for dinner at the Chicken Inn. Here we enjoyed a few different entrees of veg and chicken. Delicious!!

We felt safe in the city. Police presence is very high and imparticular near the Court buildings where the trials are currently taking place. As a matter of fact, the city is pretty well detoured around the sensitive area.

We all arrived back at the hotel and enjoyed the balance of the evening which is the balance of the morning for you. We are 12.5 hrs ahead of Calgary. Unsure what the 1/2 is for, but perhaps somebody from Newfoundland can explain that to all of us.

Till we write again....

Advertisement



12th January 2013

Welcome to Buda land,
Glad to her you all arrived safe and sound. sounds like the hotel is nice, like an exotic marigold. Enjoy yourselves & don't lose that dug thing. stu
13th January 2013

Delhi
I can sense a bit of tension here - but then Delhi is not the most serene place at the moment. Glad they're looking after you all!

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb