Alberta


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Medicine Hat
June 26th 2007
Published: August 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Additional maps: Untitled

Cottonwood CouleeCottonwood CouleeCottonwood Coulee

The golf course is in wonderful shape. At par 66 it is short but I think very challenging because of the hills.
I arrived in Medicine Hat on June 26th and settled into a very pretty campground just outside the limits of the City of Medicine Hat. The campground is located on a golf course and the view through my windshield is of the 18th tee. There are several avid golfers out on the course by 7 a.m., which is usually the time I take a walk, so I have enjoyed seeing some good shots and heard “fore“ several times.

Our family arrived in Medicine Hat on July 1st of 1977, the population then was about 36000. The land approaching Medicine Hat is very flat in all directions but the city itself is built in and around a cluster of hills known as “coulees.” Which is apparently a French word. The campground/golf course is located in one of these coulees. Medicine Hat is a very nice, clean city, the vast majority of the folks who live here keep their homes and yards in beautiful shape. Even though the climate here in the summer is sub-tropical it is nevertheless brief, which encourages today’s 60000 ‘Hatters’ to spend time outdoors and most yards have an abundance of colorful flowers and manicured lawns.

There
Golf CourseGolf CourseGolf Course

A view of the 15th and 16th holes
are lots of variations on the legend of how Medicine Hat got it’s name, the most common is that the Cree Indian Tribe met in battle with the Blackfoot Indian Tribe and the cowardly Blackfoot Medicine Man ran away losing his headdress in the middle of the South Saskatchewan river in his haste, the Blackfoot braves saw this as a sign, laid down their weapons and were slaughtered. There is a another more mythical variation but this is the origin that we learned when we arrived here in 1977.

Needless to say I am really enjoying visiting with old friends and spending time with Jayne, Kevin and the girls. It is great to be able to spend more than a week or ten days with them. They have a trip planned up to northern Alberta traveling via Banff and Jasper so I am looking forward to that.

Vacation:
We left for our trip on a beautiful clear-blue-sky morning. We headed north west stopping for lunch just west of Calgary at Olympic Park which is the site where some of the 1988 Winter Olympic events took place. The Province of Alberta and Calgary are making a lot of improvements
All the BasesAll the BasesAll the Bases

Cottonwood Coulee Golf Course and RV park certainly has all the bases covered aye?
to the site and there were folks enjoying a zip-line trip down what is the ski jump in the winter. Apparently the ride emulates the exhilarating feeling a ski jumper has when flying off the Ski Jump Tower. NOT FOR ME!!

We arrived in Banff National Park early in the afternoon. The town of Banff is about 30 miles into the park, and the drive was a real walk down memory lane for me. We got settled in a beautiful resort; where I think we could all have spent a couple of extra days; then took a walk around the town, which needless to say has really grown since we last visited in the mid 1980s. It still has the atmosphere of a Swiss Alps resort, and the variety of languages you hear spoken is also comparable.

The next day we left Banff early heading for the home of Kevin’s brother in Edson, Alberta. Our trip took us into Jasper National Park and up the Icefields Parkway. The fact that Alberta has not experienced the severe winters of the 70’s and 80’s is evident. Some of the glaciers; including Athabasca which is the most accessible of the Columbia
Canada DayCanada DayCanada Day

A bit of flag waving
Icefields; have retreated quite a bit. The scenery is nevertheless awesome and I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting an area where we had spent some great vacations with my parents.

After a very pleasant stay we left Edson for two days in Edmonton. The West Edmonton Mall is a big draw for the girls! Built by a family of middle-eastern origin it is still the largest mall in North America and was the first mall opened with Disney like attractions. The girls spent the one day shopping and the next at the indoor water park. We spent one evening visiting the Alberta Legislature buildings and beautiful grounds which are very impressive. The grounds and two pools in front of the building are open for the public to enjoy--as my pictures evidence.





Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Front YardFront Yard
Front Yard

Most folks really go all out for splashes of colour.
Back YardBack Yard
Back Yard

Most folks really go all out for splashes of colour.
ChessChess
Chess

This oversized chess set in downtown Medicine Hat is put out every morning for anyone to enjoy.
RiverRiver
River

The South Saskatchewan River runs through Medicine Hat -- which is why the city was built here I guess. The railroad came through here in 1881.
Stampede ParadeStampede Parade
Stampede Parade

The annual Medicine Hat Stampede draws a lot of attention and is a lot of fun. Floats from all over Alberta and Saskatchewan feature in the parade.
CanolaCanola
Canola

The canola crop is nearing harvest time. The bright yellow fields really do make a great show.
CalgaryCalgary
Calgary

Skyline
Olympic ParkOlympic Park
Olympic Park

All the flags of the participating countries are still flying.
WinnerWinner
Winner

The podium in front of the mural. I came in third--in what I don't know.
Hidden Ridge LodgeHidden Ridge Lodge
Hidden Ridge Lodge

The resort in Banff was really lovely.
CondoCondo
Condo

Our condo had sleeping accommodation for all eight of us.
Well FedWell Fed
Well Fed

Everybody gets well fed here!
Valley ViewValley View
Valley View

Looking down from Bridal Veil Falls.
Back ViewBack View
Back View

I caught this in my rearview mirror and gave it a try.


Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb