GlobalFest Calgary


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Alberta » Calgary
August 21st 2013
Published: August 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Every year for the past 5 years, and not because it’s a holiday, not because it’s the Calgary Stampede, and not because the Calgary Flames won the Stanley Cup (heh), I can hear the “pop pop pop” of fireworks in the distance – AND if I climb on my roof, I can see some of those that shoot high into the air.

What’s happening, you wonder? in the middle of August?
Calgary’s Globalfest.

It’s a 5 day International Fireworks competition. Teams come from around the world to display their Fireworks show, and compete with other countries.


This year, I finally made it! (Thanks to Jessica for getting the tickets!)

We went on opening night and watched the display from China, which, I’m certain, has to be the most spectacular, since didn’t they invent them once upon a time?

Globalfest is kind of a “picnic” atmosphere – bring a blanket or lawn chairs (beach chairs are better than lawn chairs, really – better angle and nobody angry behind you…) We had GREAT “seats” – thanks to Amanda, who went at 6pm when it opened and set up camp (we showed up around 8:30.
)
There are cultural food and other display pavilions set up around the Park (Elliston Park) where you can sample different items…

we had Mini Donuts … because we could! mmmmmm sooo yummy! Thanks to Chris, who stood in line for who knows how long to get buckets of donuts. And entire bucket (35-38) for $13! (Plus, the bucket came with a lid, so that’s handy, too, when you are sitting on a sloping hill.)

There’s also the OneWorld Cafe and International Bar, which serves alcoholic beverages from around the world. (Didn’t have a chance to try this out – after walking to the Park, we just wanted water!)





Speaking of walking to the Park – parking is atrocious in the vicinity of GlobalFest. There are places that advertise that you can park in their parking lots from $5-$20, for the convenience. And that might be a great deal if you are in a position that you are unable to walk (health reasons maybe?) but if you can get there on foot, it’s better to park further away and walk.



The City shuts down the main roads (17th Avenue) going passed the Park, and it remains shut down until the streams of people in the street, coming and going from the Fest, have cleared. Which means those who are parked nearby are stuck in that parking spot for a long, long, long time after.

I’m not going to say where we parked, but we found good, safe, legal parking, for free, 12 minutes walking distance away…

As mentioned, we went on the night China represented, but other countries participating this year are/were France, Great Britain, and the United States.

(The Grand Finale is this coming Sunday – August 25th.)

Speaking of Sunday, more about Hawaii – the North Kohala Coast of the Big Island.

http://www.globalfest.ca


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb