St. George's Bermuda


Advertisement
Bermuda's flag
North America » Bermuda » Saint George
May 17th 2003
Published: January 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Statue of Sir George SomersStatue of Sir George SomersStatue of Sir George Somers

Robby loved throwing pennies in the fountain.
We went sight seeing over the past couple of days and saw some pretty neat things. The houses and other buildings are all different pastel colors. I noticed that all the roofs are white. I later found out that Bermuda has a big problem with fresh water. If you don't collect your own off your roof you don't have water for your homes. Most Bermudians bathe once a week to conserve the water in private underground tanks. This is the reason for the white roofs.

After walking what seemed like miles we finally came to Kings Warf. Lots of fun little things to learn about here. There is a huge fountain with the statue of Sir George Somers in the center of it. He was the admiral of the Sea Venture. He is the founder of the English colony of Bermuda, also officially know as Somers Isles. The kids loved throwing pennies in it and making wishes for ice cream (which always came true).

There's these really cool replicas of pillory, stocks and ducking stools once used for punishing residents for minor crimes of gossip, and other petty offenses. The kids thought this was cool because some of the
Crystal Jewel Blue SeasCrystal Jewel Blue SeasCrystal Jewel Blue Seas

The boats floating leisurely on the waves.
disobedient children of the time were also made a spectacle of as well. Megan couldn't help but try it on for size!

The Warf offered some spectacular views of the boats out at sea. Some were fishing boats and some pleasure boats just drifting over each shallow wave. I saw a lot of sun bathers out on the boat decks catching a few rays. That sounds good right about now. I could use some down time but with kids this is not possible. Oh well, we'll have to come back again when they are a little older and then Rob and I can take turns relaxing in the blissful silence.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Pillory, Stocks, & Ducking Stools, Oh My!Pillory, Stocks, & Ducking Stools, Oh My!
Pillory, Stocks, & Ducking Stools, Oh My!

Meg couldn't resist the opportunity to be naughty on purpose.


Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb