Background: Bermuda was first settled in 1609 by shipwrecked English colonists headed for Virginia. Tourism to the island to escape North American winters first developed in Victorian times. Tourism continues to be important to the island's economy, although international business has overtaken it in recent years. Bermuda has developed into a highly successful offshore financial center. A referendum on independence was soundly defeated in 1995.
Blogs from Saint George
Latest Blogs from Saint George
- May 25th 2011 Bermuda
by Words: 304 Photos: 14
- May 31st 2010 Getting there IS not necessarily half the fun.
by Words: 529 Photos: 6
- October 2nd 2008 Last Week in Bermuda
by Words: 812 Photos: 9
- September 25th 2008 Another Week in Bermuda
by Words: 583 Photos: 0
- September 18th 2008 Bermuda!!!
by Words: 734 Photos: 15
- May 17th 2003 St. George's Bermuda
by Words: 309 Photos: 3
- May 15th 2003 Bermuda with the kids!
by Words: 258 Photos: 3