Aussie Rules Football: The Final


Advertisement
Middle East
March 21st 2011
Published: March 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our pre-season Aussie Rules football competition was played at the local version of the MCG – a desolate soccer pitch next to the Sugar Shack, a slightly dodgy place to buy over priced wine and spirits. The field itself had a tinge of green consequent to the recent rain. But the ground remained predominantly uneven dried mud and dust, with a liberal smattering of small rocks and stones. Ideal for a friendly game of Aussie rules.

The teams were Us versus Them. Most of the players had never played AFL before, but what they lacked in experience they made up for in fitness and attitude.

Spectators appeared from nowhere. Curious locals seemed perplexed and amused. One enthusiastic fellow changed into his soccer gear and came to play. Other spectators were known to us. I invited one of the Collingwood Cheer Squad to be on our team, but he said he didn’t have any concept of a friendly game of anything.

Unfortunately, Them started well. At times it seemed we were playing local rules, which is quite a permissive set of rules. Elbows were buffed, the dust rose as people hugged the ground, and the ball was sometimes the focus of people’s attention.

The game was close throughout, but Them broke away in the last quarter and won comfortably. The Best on the Field was shared by our full-back and their full-forward. Both played really well, and our guy, Peto, had never played AFL before. Everyone put in a big effort. The photos show many unique moves that haven’t been seen on Friday Night Football. It was a lot of fun.



Additional photos below
Photos: 46, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb