The new baby


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
June 22nd 2008
Published: June 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Dave finally pulled his finger out, got rid of the fat 4WD car, and bought himself a very flash Saab convertible. Dave had got a taste for open-top driving when he used the Peugeot for a short while but wanted a car that a man should drive, not a girl’s car. His appetite was further whetted with the abortive attempt to buy Beach Boy’s Saab (see previous blog when we had a wonderful free week-end at the Danat Resort, Jabal Dana).

He’d been um-ing and ah-ing about a Porsche Carrera but couldn’t find the “right one” (you know what’s boys are like) so he finally bit the bullet and went for a blemish-free little Scandinavian number - the only one he’s likely to get as well !!!

Paperwork was gob-smackingly easy with 4x4 Motors doing all the leg work very efficiently - unfortunately, with Dave being on an Abu Dhabi visa, the car will have to be imported to Dubai when Dave’s visa is transferred. Can’t wait to see how easy that is !!

I have to admit the car is lovely to drive and you can even have a conversation at 120 kmh-ish (ahem….!!) with the roof down without raising your voice - unlike the girl’s car, sorry Peugeot, where there was so much buffeting and wind noise, even in something so small.

I also had to endure hours in Ace Hardware on Friday while Dave pored over every type of car wash, polish, leather conditioner, chamois leather, sponge and cleaner - Dhs 450 later, we left with what seemed like half of Ace Hardware’s supply of polishes.

To be fair Dave did then spend well over an hour on Saturday night cleaning and polishing the car to make it sparkle……ready for it to get filthy again when we drove down to Abu Dhabi the next morning.

All I need now is to prise the keys out of his sticky paw, and get out and drive it myself to see how much better a full-size convertible is over a noddy-car.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb