A tour of the City


Advertisement
United Arab Emirates' flag
Middle East » United Arab Emirates » Dubai
November 21st 2007
Published: November 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Burj Al Arab HotelBurj Al Arab HotelBurj Al Arab Hotel

The only 7* hotel in the world!
Quote for the day: Every time we remember to say "thank you," we experience nothing less than heaven on earth." --Sarah Ban Breathnach


Oh what a day! We toured the city of Dubai, visited the Dubai Museum, got pictures of the Jumeirah Mosque and, of course, the famous 5* hotel - Burj Al Arab hotel.

Construction continues at a feverish pace in Dubai. As was the case last year, 75% of the largest cranes in the world are here in Dubai! It's crazy! Cost of living is soaring; millions of people are moving here; business is coming in droves. Haliburton is making this their home base. You used to be able to get some good deals at the gold markets, etc. Not now. They aren't interested in bargaining. Costs are high.

The city is gorgeous though. Pristine, almost. No wires anywhere (unlike India!). Beautiful flowers. No grafitti or garbage around the streets. Phenomenal buildings that are designed to look like airplanes, ships, etc. Architects get to be very creative here.

So, "heads up" everyone.......we leave for Africa in the morning, where there is no internet service. We will be there for 3 days and the blog will be on hiatus! I know you will miss us, but know that we will be having a phenomenal time with the animals.

Stay tuned!

(Good night, Mom. I love you!)

Happy Pat


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Traffic is crazy; cars are everywhere!Traffic is crazy; cars are everywhere!
Traffic is crazy; cars are everywhere!

But it is quieter and more organized chaos here.
"someday my prince will come"......"someday my prince will come"......
"someday my prince will come"......

Hey, maybe that's him in the yacht over there!
Cute little faces........Cute little faces........
Cute little faces........

These children were on a field trip at the Museum.
The water taxi........The water taxi........
The water taxi........

I was happy that we were NOT going on that today!
Noel, shopping at the Souks (markets)Noel, shopping at the Souks (markets)
Noel, shopping at the Souks (markets)

Well, not actually shopping.........
and more construction.......and more construction.......
and more construction.......

we should never complain again, in North America, about construction disruptions!
Mall of the EmiratesMall of the Emirates
Mall of the Emirates

This is where the famous Snow Park is located


21st November 2007

Shopping, shopping
What wonderful sights and sounds you are experiencing. Memories that will surely last you a lifetime or, at least, until your next trip. I see my friend, Noel, is resting in front of a jewellery store, trying to make up his mind what to buy me for Christmas!
23rd November 2007

Thank You!!
Hi Pat - thanks so much for all of your work on this blog. It has become the highlight of my lunch. It may be bleak looking out of my office window but not on my monitor! Waiting with baited breath for entries on Africa - enjoy your hiatus from the keyboard!
24th November 2007

Envious
My husband and I spent 36 days in Dubai and everyone should experience it once in their lifetime. However, just seeing the pictures you sent brings back wonderful memories and a desire to visit again. We did take the water taxi --choas on the water--but a memorable experience.
25th November 2007

hello from Australia
Hello Happy Pat, Your blog continues to help us recapture the wonderful memories and feelings that we had on last year's tour. Dubai.........and Kenya.......we are so happy for you to be doing it all again! We are currently in the McLaren Vale area of Australia, in a log cabin overlooking the vineyard.....with a glass of red wine! Enjoy the rest of the tour.........we will keep watching for your blog, Kevin and Gail......on our "southern tour"!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0329s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb