Pamukkale


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean
April 12th 2011
Published: April 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we said goodbye to eighteen members of our party. They were joining a Greek Island cruise ship, which arrived in the harbour early in the morning. Now we are twenty-nine.
Our first visit of the day was to a very nice leather centre. Once again we were offered apple tea, a Turkish custom, while we watched a most appealing fashion show. During the show several members of the group were whisked out the back and appeared later wearing the latest fashions in leather jackets and coats. One who shall remain nameless was wearing a stunning reversible number which later found its way onto the bus. We then boarded the bus for the thermal region of Pamukkale.
Driving to Pamukkale we passed through areas of peach and apricot orchards in bloom, groves of olive trees and fields of vegetables. We saw shepherds looking after small flocks of sheep. It was very similar to what we would imagine was happening in Biblical times.
The main attractions at Pamukkale were the ancient city of Hierapolis and cascading terraces similar to those of the destroyed White Terraces of Rotorua. Cleopatra is suppose to have visited and swum in the thermal pools. We were surprised at the lack of sulphur smell, unlike Rotorua.
Our hotel was a Thermal Spa Hotel and our room had its own thermal bath so it was great to have a good soak and soothe the aching joints. From our balcony we could look out at the local town and large mosque, and the mountains in the background covered with a light dusting of snow.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb