Aspendos revisited


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Mediterranean » Antalya
May 20th 2011
Published: May 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We are ready - where are the performers?We are ready - where are the performers?We are ready - where are the performers?

Two seated, 14,998 to go. We imagined the music.
When we were staying in Kemer 9 further back along the coast towards Antalya) 2 years ago, we went by bus to Aspendos to see an opera being performed in one of the largest and best preserved Roman theatres still in use today. It has seating for 15000 people and we took our cushions as the Romans used to do to sit comfortably on the hard seats. We noticed we were the only ones on the bus with cushions as the others knew we were actually going to a replica theatre nearby called the new Aspendos (now Troy), not for opera but a Turkish version of River Dance. Classic case of confusion caused by language difficulties! Well we finally made it, but unfortunately the opera and ballet don't start until June.

On our way to Cappadocia we came through the snow covered mountains to Antalya and stayed in the old city, down the hill near the original harbour. It was a great place with lots of character, very narrow roads/pathways used as a market, the obligatory Roman walls and ancient ruins. We were picked up next morning to retrace our steps and fulfill Lyn's fantasy of finally visiting Aspendos.
The real Aspendos finallyThe real Aspendos finallyThe real Aspendos finally

Imagine sitting up there where the Romans sat! They woud have seen lions no doubt eating Christians and others.

On the way we visited Perge, first settled by the Hittites around 1500 BC and the place where Paul preached some of his first sermons. While this was a great experience, our short break in the afternoon at Side was mind blowing. We walked through the town, were invited into yet another Turkish carpet shop where the owner gave us apple tea and just wanted to talk about Australia, and then down to the harbour. When we turned east and looked at the point, there it was the remains of an Athenian temple, with most of the columns still standing.

While we have traveled through a lot of Turkey, we still have that naivety of those who come from newer civilizations where ruins are less than 200 years old. I often think of the traffic jam in Istanbul where a wide highway narrowed down to go through a Roman viaduct. Maybe Greece and Italy will be just as exciting. Col


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Aspendos theatreAspendos theatre
Aspendos theatre

One of the 3 best Roman theatres in the world apparently and we will see Epidavros in Greece -one of the best ampitheatres.
Troy (next to Aspendos)Troy (next to Aspendos)
Troy (next to Aspendos)

The new theatre ( not nearly as impressive as the old one)
Dancing show at Troy (2009)Dancing show at Troy (2009)
Dancing show at Troy (2009)

This is what we saw last time....we could hear the opera being performed next door!
view of the old harbour in Antalyaview of the old harbour in Antalya
view of the old harbour in Antalya

The view from our hotel in the Old Town
The view along the coast towards KemerThe view along the coast towards Kemer
The view along the coast towards Kemer

The harbour was in constant use by pleasure boats and yachts.
After the tourists have finally gone to bed!!After the tourists have finally gone to bed!!
After the tourists have finally gone to bed!!

It's always lovely to stay where everyone goes home - eventually. The music and parties went for a long time the night before this shot was taken.
Side (pronounced see-day)Side (pronounced see-day)
Side (pronounced see-day)

Apollo Temple in Side, Turkey. They just picked the best spots to buid their temples.
Kunsunlu fallsKunsunlu falls
Kunsunlu falls

Apparently you see these Falls in a lot of international hair shampoo commercials.
Sign languageSign language
Sign language

We were careful to not do whatever this sign was telling us not to do- even if we weren't sure what that was!


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb