Istanbul


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
April 23rd 2006
Published: July 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Walking tour of Istanbul with the full Tour Group. Visited the Cistern, Bascillica, Hippodrome and Topkapi Palace.

We were told that legend has it that the Medusa heads in the Cistern are upside down because a worker got the shits with his boss and laid them incorrectly as pay back.

You really come to appreciate the history of this place when you wonder around Topkapi Palace and see how worn the granite steps are - you can only imagine how long they’ve been around to be so worn down.

Highlight of the day was a decision to go and watch the ANZAC Fanatics play a local soccer team in their annual ANZAC game. The tour guide wasn’t keen to go, but as the tour had technically finished I offered to take a group with me - in the end the whole tour group came along. Lots of drink and cheering and mixing with the locals, streakers - it was great fun - even if the ANZACS did lose in a penalty shootout. All money raised by the Fanatics on the day (from drinks, food and memorabilia) was given to the local soccer team to give to local charities.

This evening we had a cruise on the Bosphorous starting at dusk - it was spectacular. The cruise included a number of other Topdeck and Fez tour groups and there was lots of drinking and further partying at “Just Bar” afterwards - only downside was that Peter (roommate) managed to lock me out - he crashed and burned - and reception couldn’t open the door with their master key - ended up sleeping in reception, not a great experience.

Tomorrow we head to Gallipoli - there is a strange feeling amongst the group.

A quote from “Right Turn at Istanbul”:

‘You know why you go there don’t you…that’s where your people learned that they were different from the English. You found your soul there, so you have to keep coming back to pay your respects. Your country started there, and so did our country. You know about Ataturk? If he hadn’t fought your grandfathers at Gallipoli, he wouldn’t have become the man to save Turkey and make it a new independent country.’


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb