a banjo in Istanbul?


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul
May 22nd 2008
Published: June 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Poland to Turkey


This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Where are you from? 20 secs
Much to our delight, Keith was to attend a meeting in the wonderful city of Istanbul. The only hitch is, that it was just ending, as his vacation starts, so our time here is cut short. This meant that he was challenged to get in as many sights as he could, of this enormous city. This visit to Turkey is the beginning of two weeks of travel. Okay, let me just say that we are tired!
Some of us remember world history, and the ancient city of Constantinople, the cross roads of civilization. Founded in A.D.330. And for hundreds of years before Constantine I, it was Byzantium. This is Istanbul, the most eastern point of Europe. A modern city of approximately 15,000,000 whose boundry encompasses two continents.
To say we have seen plenty of crowded cities would be acurate, although each city has a different type of person, and Istanbul's people are friendly and colorful. Only wish I could have sat in one place long enough to watch and snap pictures.

It has been said before, but the smells and aromas that surrounded us on our walks through the markets were unusual, and at the same time familiar. Spices and smoke and fish, and wide open water along the Bosphorus Strait, mingled into a scent that our memories will conjure up each time we look at our photos.

The first day we had to get to the Spice Market and the Grand Bazaar, and The Dolmabahce Palace. Keith and Marcin navigated our way on foot and 'taksi'. At the Grand Bazaar, I declined many sales pitches by carpet salesmen, until, one cute guy, seduced me into his store. Which wasn't the store whose carpets I was admiring. No, his store was around the corner, up another aisle, where another cute salesman took over. Poor Keith and Marcin reluctantly followed me, and the 'pitch guy' into a shop, where the salesman tried his darndest to get them to sit and drink tea, while he rolled out every small carpet he had. I love a good salesman, felt just like I was negotiating for an estate sale item back home, but this time I didn't give in. It's easy to walk out empty handed when you don't have any money!


After the meeting on the next day, all the men, and me, were led on a guided tour of the
Hagia Sophia and the Topkapi Palace. Each night we were treated to seafood at waterfront restaurants.
The sultans would be proud of the hospitality shown to us. We drank Turkish coffee, ate cacik, a mix of yogurt, cucmbers, galic and olive oil -delicious! Calamari, and grilled fish. The local adult beverage is licorice tasting - raki, we were told that you won't know that you have had too much until you try to stand up! Luckily I don't favor licorice.

One of the more unusual sights we went to was the underground Basilica Cistern. Rebuilt by the emperor in the 6th century it is supported with recycled columns. Fish swim in the water to show that the water is good. The carved medusa's heads at the base of two of the columns, are believed to have been placed one upside down, and one on it's side to prove to the superstitous workers that their gods would not be able to punish them, and therefore were not real.

The Hagia Sophia, started it's existance one thousand five hundred years ago as a Christian place of worship, St. Sophia. When Muslims took over, minarets were added, and the mosaics were covered, but now due to time, some of them have uncovered themselves as the plaster falls off. It is in need of repair, and has been going through restoration for many years.
Occasionally we could here the call to prayer from the minarets that accent the skyline. I believe the first call is around 5 in the morning. Out our hotel window we could see a minuret, therefore hear the call...
Usually on the days that Keith heads off to work, I will venture outside the hotel early in the morning, and take photos, but here we were right by the freeway with more security than I had seen, surrounding a hotel. So, I slept in! But our window did offer a view of a busy street, and I did get a few interesting shots, of people going about their business. It's the 'chicken's' way of photographing.

We had little time, and so did not get over to the Asian side of Istanbul. Turkey is our first taste of the Mediterranean life, and we would like to return to see the country side, and coast line.

(as far as the Elvis sighting, we didn't
lokumlokumlokum

Turkish Delight is a sweet jelly-like candy, really sticks to your teeth
actually see him, but we did hear him singing over the restaurant's sound system)


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

domesdomes
domes

nearing sunset
bagel menbagel men
bagel men

Istanbul
Keith and MuratKeith and Murat
Keith and Murat

Murat, our wonderful host, is holding a glass of raki
Sultanahmet CamiiSultanahmet Camii
Sultanahmet Camii

better know to us as the 'Blue Mosque', the tiles are beautiful shades of blue
boy and catboy and cat
boy and cat

this little guy had just been standing right next to this huge cat, talking away. The cat completely ignored him, but the boy seemed not to like the cat.
cistern columnscistern columns
cistern columns

eerily beautiful underground water supply
medusa headmedusa head
medusa head

recycled columns from temples. this one is carved into the malicious medusa that is her upside down profile you see (my front photo didn't turn out)
instrument storeinstrument store
instrument store

Marcin and Keith window shop this entire street was occupied with music stores
lost luggagelost luggage
lost luggage

next time your luggage isn't on the turnstile, think of this photo. We watched many airprot vehicles zip by it, a few drivers glanced it's way.
flowersflowers
flowers

the gardens around the Palace were manicured and bursting with roses.
tourist photo optourist photo op
tourist photo op

interesting to watch the asian lady ask the school girls for a photo


Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 31; qc: 135; dbt: 0.1464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb