Mosques, Monuments and Meze


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Sultanahmet
April 23rd 2013
Published: April 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Istanbul is a most interesting city. Within a few blocks there are magnificent towering mosques all perched on the edge of the water. Yesterday we visited the Tokapi Palace and roamed through the rooms of the Harem. Here the Sultan kept up to 300 concubines. I could hear the men in the crowd discussing the possibilities! The grounds and buildings are beautiful and especially so at this time of year with garden beds full of brightly coloured tulips. We've all jostled through the Spice market, oh to have fun buying some of the wares; visited the underground Cistern and my high school classes came back to my at the Hagia Sophia.

We have discovered some interesting areas on the Beyogli side of the city. Great lanes of bars, crowded with people sitting watching the world go by. Loads of atmosphere.

Today we head out with new friends for a cruise on the Bosphorus!

Weather mid teens and dry. Day to day expenses very reasonable. Great metro system although we tend to walk most everywhere.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



23rd April 2013

Hi
Thanks Hil and Roger for keeping me up-to-date with Istanbal. Will keep notes on what is good to visit Take care Sharne
23rd April 2013

I'm right there with you. Loving this blog the photos are amazing Sue xx
24th April 2013

Turkey
Not even a week in and you have done so much. Love the look of the spice markets. Having lunch with Jane and Sean today. Love to you both.
24th April 2013

WOW
This takes me back -we need to revisit! so many great memories
24th April 2013

Dirty camera lens?
What's going on with the photo of the mosque tops? looks like your camera lens is dirty. Nice touch putting the flag on the heading - might try and do that with ours.
24th April 2013

love the Topkapi ans the Cistern. Have a baklava and apple tea for me
27th April 2013

I love your photos. Looks fantastic.
28th April 2013

Great blog guys - I am travelling virtually with you!

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0599s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb