Istanbul- Taksim and South


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Istanbul » Kadıköy
August 8th 2013
Published: August 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We could not have landed in a more different place than the Columbia Missouri, Istanbul has exceeded my expectations in its uniqueness. As you will see throughout this blogging, I lack the creative writing skills to illustrate our experiences and will leave the nitty gritty to the photos.

However, Iistanbul is old, congested, and any complaint that United States citizens have about the traffic in America have no idea how blessed they are! Dodging traffic has not only been a challenge but a necessity for survival, no joke! But the lamb kebabs and grilled sandwhiches have made crossing the street worth it.

Anyone who visits Istanbul must visit Taxim, a northern province in the European side of the country that just. keeps. going. As I write this (at our hostel in Taxim, 2:30 am oour time), I hear music and commotion that shows no hint of slowing down. Its wild here, but the people are generally very kind despite the apparent chaos. Its an old city run by tradition.

South of Taxim you find the Province of Eminonu, a pier setting full of street vendors and lots of fish. East of Eminonu is Sirkeci and Sultanahmet - the old Istanbul. Here we saw the Hagia Sophia (Ayasofia) and the Basilica Cistern, and some old marke. Here I realized that these structures are one of many we will visit which are older than my own country. The giant buildings and architecture here are breathtaking; with European and Middle Eastern influences both. In the old city you cant open your eyes without seeing a Mosque, yet it is also very modernized with an occasional Burger King and even a Little Caesars! However, we have favored the street meats and hole-in-the-wall types. Food and drink alike are both inexpensive (5 and 7 turkish lira, respectively. Equivalent to half that in U.S. dollars)

As far as our first hostel is concerned, Danny Hammack could not have been more right. After we arrived and unpacked, Peer and Slavva, two young travelling German students, became fast friends of ours, as did Olympe and Hugo (from Paris, France), and Luna and Carsper (from Copenhagen, Denmark). All very friendly, and looking for the same experience as Monica and I. Thankfully, they all speak English very well, haha! Knowing spanish has allowed me to hold my head high for atleast a little while. Anyways, these past two days have provided too much for to keep rambling, so I will let you view the photos and I bid you all a goodnight! Love you all and message us if you like ç)

*note* my phone has been uploading all day and stillhl has noy finished, have to leave the wifi spot now and more will come! Promise!

*note #2* because of the long download times, I am putting the majority of our photos on Facebook and the really good ones here


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



9th August 2013
20130807_190416

Thanks for the update
Hi David, so glad you both made it safely to Europe. It's a long trip isn't it! I enjoyed reading about your stay in Turkey and seeing your pictures. As I've traveled around this world I know how blesses I've been leaving in the U.S. Safe travels! Sue
9th August 2013

sideways pictures
you need to straighten out your pics im getting dizzy dammit! love you guys be safe and keep your wits and your wallet!
9th August 2013

David, Wow didn\'t know you could write so well!!..just kidding,,love you ,,be careful and watch the spending!...

Tot: 0.237s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb