Day 127-128 Gallipoli


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Gallipoli
September 8th 2011
Published: September 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Day 127-128

Although it was a great piece of quiet motorway from Volos to the Turkish border, it was a long slog, the major towns in this part of Greece are few and far between, its mainly agricultural with mountains in the distance. But on the 7th September we crossed the Turkish border our furthest country east.
With a day to spare before we entered Istanbul, we decided to visit Galipolli. It was here in 1915, that Allied Forces tried to capture and secure the Dardenelles a narrow strip of water with the aim to march on Istanbul to take Turkey out of the war and start another front against Hungary.
In the 1950’s nobody visited this sparse, but lovely piece of land that is now a National Park. Nowadays many people come to visit the Cemeteries and monuments to commemorate the Turkish, British, French, and Commonwealth fallen. There were 200.000 casulaties during the battle in 1915, after 9 months of stalemate the allies withdrew, the fallen only buried 3 years later.
As ANZAC day is enshrined in the Australian and New Zealand psyche many from those countries visit these shores, particularly on the 25th April when as many as 15000 attend the Anzac dawn service at the cove where many died.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Lone Pine CemetaryLone Pine Cemetary
Lone Pine Cemetary

New Zealand and Australian Cemetary


Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 19; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0966s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb