Mutiny on the Bounty


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Marmara » Canakkale
April 14th 2005
Published: April 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hey kids,

Q: What do you get when you cross the Aegean wıth six Canadians, an American tour guide, an Australian pharmacist, and a British soon-to-be doctor?

A: The love boat, people. And our last four days.

So, if it isn't obvious, we ended up taking a cruise with a whole bunch of people we'd met in Cappadocia and Istanbul, and seriously? Such a good decision. We spent four days just lying on the sun deck, drinking Turkish beer, occasionally jumping off to swim, eating amazing food (there was a chef on board), and making no hard decisions. One night we docked at some random island in the middle of nowhere, and there was this completely fabulous disco stuck right on the shore, and we all tarted ourselves up and went dancing. Granted, we were the only people in there, but it was SO much fun. Our captain was this adorable man who didn't really speak any English, but took such good care of us. We had three great days of weather, and then today -- the last day -- we hit a storm. The boat was rocking violently from side to side and things were flying around in the air (Liz almost got stabbed by a flying knife) and we were all a little bit queasy. We actually saw a funnel cloud touch down on the water not far from us, and my brief life flashed before my eyes, but everything turned out to be fine. Anyway, it was definitely a highlight of the trip so far.
Before our sensational cruise, we spent three days in Olympos, which was unbelievably beautiful. We slept in a tree house, and hit up the beach every day and hung out with these crazy German people at the hostel. One night we went up to the Chimera, which are these flames that mysteriously burn from the ground -- they still don't know the exact combination of gasses that produces the fire. It was very cool, but I think my favourite thing about Olympos was this huge group of adolescent Turkish girls who piled on to the beach at about 6 pm, and proceeded to come up to Liz and I, and just basically stood there and stared at us. One or two of them spoke English, so we did manage to have a bit of a conversation, but mostly we just stared at each other and giggled and took pictures with each other. It was so bizarre and hilarious, and I still can't quite figure it out, but I will never forget them.
So we're now in Fethiye, and we have four or five more days in Turkey, and next week we head off to Greece, where we have no idea which places we'll be visiting. I'm sure we'll figure it out somehow. We'll update with more entertaining news lat-ah.
Peace out,
Pia
p.s. Tomorrow is our two month travel anniversary! Send us presents! Or emails. Or comments. Anything, really.

Advertisement



15th April 2005

Still having fun !!
Good to hear from you guys after almost 3 weeks of no contact. Good talking to Pia today. You guys seem to be having a blast. Enjoy your remaining time in Turkey and your waltz through the Greek Islands.Take care and be safe. - GT
18th April 2005

Thanks for the great blog entries...
...and your latest pictures from Spain and Turkey. Turkey looks just as beautiful as you claim, and you guys are always wearing the biggest grins! And who wouldn't when you get to sleep in a cowboy tree house and go on an island-hopping tour in the love boat? Stay happy and continue to take good care of each other. Lots of love from mama Kathy. - Mummsy

Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0974s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb