Summertime


Advertisement
Published: June 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello
Livin the high life.

I am have been staying in the shadow of Mt Ararat for the past two days. What an impressive sight it is. Over 5000 metres high. Powerful and wrapped in much history it is.

The last night in Yusufeli (mountain river valley), we walked down to the river and the party-celebration-dance following a turkish wedding was gettin down!! What a sight that was. Half the town showed up and three big circles were formed (2 of men, one of younger women) and the traditional, turkish style dance they were doing was really fun to watch. Even i could do that!!!
The older women and some of the men were sitting on the sides watching. I think it was a place and time for younger people to meet in a parent monitered social situation. The traditional Muslim ways of marriage still endure, to the protest of the younger generations of course. It was fun to see.
Bertie and I left Yusufeli and hitched over into the next valley. An empty dump truck picked us up about 4 km out of town. I jumped in the back of course and gave the brit the seat in the hot crowded cab. I felt 6 again, standing looking over the top edge again on my way to Jekyl Island.
We walked into our valley later that day. The Oltu river is a tributary of the river valley we were following. Off the main road, we walked up a winding 5km road up into the mountain village of Ishan. The Georgian church ( built in 730, dome was added a few hundred years later) was the reason we came all this way. Its condition was amazing. The locals didn't seem to care too much about it. There was a spring next to it so that is where we spent that night. The roof had long since crumbled away so we slept on the floor inside with the dark walls and the bright stars to stare up at. No poeple around. Incredible...

Hiking out of town early the next morning, a guy on a electrical- road crew gave us a ride back down into the valley and with the other guys on his crew, we were served breakfast of course!! (eggs, bread, olives, cake, and tea) Then we set out again. After walking for a few hours, a car pulled over and asked us if we wanted a lift. Where he asked???
Bertie and I looked at each other and said take us somewhere nice...
...in that direction.

We were let off where another smaller and clear mountain stream fed into the river we were following. A bath and a swim and a nap followed that hot day...

I have to say, one of the cutest sights i have ever seen was watching this baby donkey buck and run around. I think he was trying to draw attention to himself. They are small anyway, but he was so furry and brown and his head and ears were soo big. İ loved him

Back on the road that early evening, a business man in a mercedes pulls over and we FLY down the road and out of the valley into a town on the main road.

Like the Red Sea, Bertie and I parted ways after 17 days or so rollin the same way and he hitched south and I went east. That was the longest time i have ever travelled with someone i did not know. ( The two aussie girls in greece back in 2001 had been the longest- 1 week)
He was cool. That was the second londoner i have known now. Good people. Relate very well and like i, sought out abandoned buildings to sleep in, shunned organized tours, and loved to stray from the tourist path. Will see him again when i am in London later this summer.

After exploring the ruins of the great Armenian city of Ani, i made it here.

These high mountain valleys remind me of the San Luis V in southern Colo. Thick, green grass and mountain flowers so thick thick you thought it wasn't real.

Kurdish nomads tending their flocks still live up on the slopes of Mt Ararat in the summers. The old ways endure. I am about 20 minutes from the border with Iran. No worries there though.

I will head out in the morning.

And no 'mike' there are no serious greek remains out here. (Far East) This is Kurdish and ancient Armenian lands. When and if i head west to the coastal areas then yes, the greeks will be mentioned of course. But don't worry yourself. No.....you should study your guidebook some more. If that is YOUR source for info. Then too bad and what a pity. peace
btw
mike who??

That is that




As for everyone and some other news...

Mom and the sister are together this weekend. Good job ma on another year done. You and cindy had much fun i think. I thank you again for helping raise Anna. Keep your nurturing skills sharp till Jill gives you some grandkids. (tick. tick. tick.tick. says the clock Jill)
Jill, i am proud of you with the promotion. You make their lives better. You guys have fun in Page. With Anna too...
Dad......you alive?? Hope you are well. For i am getting on......... very well.

Brother, you are done and teepee livin this summer. Good stuff. Will join you soon. Bowdie calls. Its on i say... Hey to Butch and T-wylde

I hope your arm heals well aunt Jean. Gotta keep an eye on her uncle Ron. Tell Laura hey.

Judy ....hope the retired life treats you well.. ..again......go have some fun....
You would love this place. The goodness of the people. Amazing beauty of the land. Vivid culture.

Good job on the house Aunt Beth. Have fun with the new surroundings. That has to be weird. So many years in that house. So many memories and time and work put in. The association i have with you is there and nowhere else. Will be good though.

I hope Bill is well. Tell him hello. Have some stories for him. Randy too.

Tell Nuby and Dorothy Nell to have fun and safe travels. Too bad we could not have hooked up.

Dorothy and Marsha. How are things - life in the greater Webb city area?
good i hope

Dean ...safe travels and have fun with family in Colorado. Our homeland. We will be hittin saturday night games before you know it. Out and ups in page too....keep liftin!!!!

Little brother......climb on.....we will be hittin hopkins everyday very very soon
I have to get those new problems you set.....reel you in boy.......until then Chris

Have fun and learn much Dezi.......hope things keep on keepin on......

Scott, my friend. A new chapter begins for you. A rebirth of sorts. I wish you well on the island and in south america. See you in the future...

ms. buckinghorse. Those pics from the graduation in Chinle looked good...thanks....have a fun summer..
Hope Cindy and the family are good in Utah. Camps for colten and berlin i think....Hope Casen is still doing good things and learning much.

Hello to everyone in Cortez and Pinon and Az too. Life rolls on.


World cup begins soon
Go USA GO Holland....

Will be great!!!

Well

Take care

Hope everyone has a great Summer

Talk to you soon

Love Jonathan































Advertisement



Tot: 0.308s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0529s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb