Ancient ruins


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Central Anatolia » Konya
May 1st 2011
Published: April 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Pamukkale to Kusadasi
First of all – an apology to our gorgeous guide Enis – I have been incorrectly spelling his name the past few days. Enis gave us a late start this morning which we were all grateful for the sleep in. Pity it was too cold to take advantage of the great pool – and none of us wanted to get muddy again in the thermal hot pool. After breakfast we went to the Cotton Fortress, the white calcium cascades. Pure white stone and clear blue pools of water, high on a hill. …… extremely beautiful…..We viewed it from down below before the bus took us up so we could walk barefoot on this incredible natural wonder. Also on this site is the ruins of the first spa centre and a big theatre. The area is called Hierapolis. The weather was sunny and bright and we all pulled out sunhats. It is amazing they let the tourists walk freely around – although there are security guards who pull back the stupid ones that go to close to the edge. It is quite slippery and I only walked to the first pool (determined) but after that I happily sat and people watched while the others climbed the ruins.
The area we are driving through now is apricot and peach country, and there are more wild poppies. The country side is spectacular – I know I am repeating myself – but you could never get bored. We enjoy having every meal together and getting to know each other better…..Michelle & Ken are great travelers and Ken is very knowledgeable about history. Michelle is an IT whiz with her own company and she has shared some tips with me that are very much appreciated. Greg & Lee are father and daughter and their relationship is just fantastic. Lots of good natured ribbing and a shared interest in fitness. When the rest of us are looking for a drink by the pool they are pumping away in the gym or going for a jog. Ann is our daytime friend but through a miscommunication with her travel agent has to sleep at another hotel. We have all bonded pretty quickly and this surely is the best part about an organized tour. You have something in common before you utter a word.
One of the highlights today was visiting a leather shop. We were led into a darkened room, sat on white leather chairs when the lights and music came on and models paraded leather coats and jackets on the runway. Closest thing I will ever get to what resembles a Designer fashion parade.. The prices were dazzling too, so that put Brian and I off. But some of the others bought and were very pleased with their purchases.
Our last stop for the day was the house of Virgin Mary. Now Turkey makes no claims that this is her house. The Vatican did the necessary research and has verified this and it has now become a pilgrimage for Christians and Catholics to visit this tiny stone light candles or leave messages on a board It is completely covered with everything from hankys, baggage labels and toilet paper – all with messages to the Virgin Mary.
We then drove to Kusadai where we stop for two nights. The hotel is magnificent, right on the beach,. Brian finally has a balcony and I know he is itching to paint.
Ephesus tomorrow………..


Advertisement



2nd May 2011

Hello
Hi guys, I've been following your trip with keen interest. Would love to visit there some day. So much to see so little time! Enjoy the rest of your holiday. luv Julie

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb