Ephesus


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean
June 22nd 2013
Published: June 24th 2013
Edit Blog Post

At 6 am, we reached the port of Kudasi, Turkey. Buses took us to the House of the Virgin Mary & to the Ruins of Ancient Ephesus. During New Testament times, this was the capital of the Roman province of Asia. Paul, John, Timothy, & Mary all lived & ministered here. In a small valley on Mt. Koressos lies a chapel where many believe that the Virgin Mary spent her last days It is a peaceful place surrounded by pine trees. Our guide told us about the miracle that happened here just a few years ago. The whole mountain was blazing as winds whipped out of control flames up the slopes. Everyone thought that the House of the Virgin Mary would be consumed, but just as the fire reached the perimeter - it stopped.. You can still see the fire line as you enter. Our next stop was Ancient Ephesus. We wandered through the Agora (ancient shopping area) & saw the Hall of Tyrannus where Paul taught for two years. The Great Theatre is HUGE. It is bigger than the Banker's Life Field House (where the Pacers play)! Paul was brought here by an angry mob because his teachings interfered with the local merchant's profits (check out Acts 18:19-26 and Acts 19). The accoustics are fantastic. I climbed up to the "cheap seats" & could still hear Aaron talking on the stage. The sound of 25,000 angry people yelling would be deafening! We found the ancient bathroom & took pictures for the kids at church. Yes - everyone sits down together with no dividers! We also learned that during the winter...the rich people had their slaves go down & sit on the cold marble to warm up the seats for their masters. How would you like that job?! Before returning to the ship, we saw how Turkish oriental rugs are made. The intricate patterns take YEARS to finish. I have a new appreciation for the rugs under my feet.

Joyce




Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0255s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb