Turkey


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Kusadasi
August 3rd 2013
Published: August 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Time moves along so quickly and it is nearly a week since we have entered on the blog. So what’s been happening?

After beautiful Santorini we arrived in Kusadasi (pronounced kushadasha) Turkey (the home of Ephesus), we spent the day around the markets haggling for some cheap bargains. Not sure yet if we were ripped off or not but we were happy with our purchases. That evening the Cruise ship had organised for a private open air classical concert in Ephesus so at 7 o’clock we were loaded on buses and driven to the ruins at Ephesus, we arrived to a beautiful setting, tables and chairs all dressed for the event complete with snacks, champagne on arrival and the back drop of Esphesus, absolutely stunning. The orchestra played all sorts of classical music; it was just a beautiful evening, the weather spectacular and still very hot. After the concert we were back on the buses and arrived at the ship around 10pm. The ship was docked at the wharf and on our arrival we were welcomed by the crew on the dock with more music, clapping, watermelon, cocktails and cold flannels, just magic. Our night was not over as we headed up to the patio deck for more drinks and supper. By gee this Seabourn crowd put on a good show, nothing is missed or scrimped on. We had met some really nice people from Perth, originally Italians, so finished our evening laughing and chatting together as the ship pulled away from the port.

Next day on to Chios – Greece. Not much happening here just appeared to be a little seaside village, not many tourists here but the girls managed to find a great shopping area and the Greeks were keen to take our money. Back to the ship for relaxation.

Friday was our big day as we were back in Turkey in Cannakale and had organised a tour for the day to the battle fields and memorial sites of Gallipoli. After a short ferry crossing and a nonstop commentary from our guide (I think that he thought that if he stopped talking that he would stop breathing and die) we arrived in Gallipoli and drove to some of the highlight points, the area is very beautiful and very well looked after. A must do pilgrimage for all Kiwis and Aussies. A visit to ANZAC Cove, Lone
ANZAC CoveANZAC CoveANZAC Cove

The Group
Pine and the laying of a wreath on one of the monuments and a short reading was all very emotional. There was an Australian woman on the tour whose grandfather was killed there. Seabourn had made enquiries with the Turkish authorities and were able to establish where his grave was. They supplied flowers and she was able to lay them on the grave. It was like we were at his funeral, after nearly 100 years very emotional for her and everyone else. Back to the ship for our last night.

Sadly all good things come to an end and this was our last night on the cruise after being very, very, spoiled for the last 14 days. The early part of our last evening was spent in a cocktail lounge that we had only discovered a couple of nights before for a predinner drink. We met up with all our friends from the Gallipoli trip and past evenings before heading off to the fine dining restaurant for our last dinner. Then back to our room for bag packing and an early night.



Saturday morning up early as we arrived in Istanbul, what a fantastic looking city.
Gallipoli Gallipoli Gallipoli

Where it all happened
It was time to leave the cruise and we are to spend the next four days in Istanbul. Our hotel was in the middle of the action and certainly only a few steps (literally) to the Blue mosque, Sophia and the square etc. More on that in the next instalment.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

ANZAC CoveANZAC Cove
ANZAC Cove

Janet & Steve
ANZAC CoveANZAC Cove
ANZAC Cove

Road Marker
EphesusEphesus
Ephesus

At the Classical Concert
KusadasiKusadasi
Kusadasi

By Night from the ship


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb