Ephesus - A Rediscovered City


Advertisement
Turkey's flag
Middle East » Turkey » Aegean » Ephesus
November 12th 2008
Published: November 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

15% of the old city of Ephesus has been restored, thanks to the combined work of the Turkish and Australian Archeological Societies. Our tour leader, Emory showed us the agora or marketplace, marble streets, Roman baths, the Hadrian Temple, the Celsus Library, public toilets and a large theatre where St Paul of Tarsus spoke.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

The Celsus LibraryThe Celsus Library
The Celsus Library

This library once held nearly 12,000 scrolls.
The Large TheatreThe Large Theatre
The Large Theatre

The acoustics are stunning which was initially used for dramatic performances. More recently Elton John and Sting have both given concerts here but such concerts will not continue, as the vibrations affect the stones. Gladiators fought here, as nearby graves attest. Paul spoke in this teatre soon after Jesus died. However one of the 25,000 strong crowd, Demetrius, rose to his feet complaing about Paul declaring Jesus to be God rather than the bronze images he was selling successfully from a nearby store. The crowd agreed and Paul fled towards the sea. He was caught before he could leave by boat and was put in prison on the nearby hill.
Socrates at HomeSocrates at Home
Socrates at Home

It is understood Socarates lived in Ephesus
Lunch near EphesusLunch near Ephesus
Lunch near Ephesus

Celia and Mike, from Turkish Cyprus are at the front of the picture, an American couple next to Celia and Emory, our tour guide, and I at the far end of the table.
The Medical BuildingThe Medical Building
The Medical Building

The inscription in the column indicates this was the Medical Building
The  PrisonThe  Prison
The Prison

View from the theatre of the prison on the distant hill where Paul was imprisioined after speaking to the crowd about Jesus.
The Temple of HadrianThe Temple of Hadrian
The Temple of Hadrian

The Temple dates from the 2nd Century and was built in honour of Emperor Hadrian. It includes a number of figures - Androklos, the founder of Ephesus, Fortune, the Goodess of Fate, Medusa and Theodosius I, his wife and eldest son. The temple includes both pagans and Christians showing the transition to Christianity.
The Church of St JohnThe Church of St John
The Church of St John

This is located near Ephesus. St John's Basilica is located in Selcuk and stands above John's tomb. John had guided the churches of the area and died in Ephesus.


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0658s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb