Khobar and Abqaiq


Advertisement
Middle East » Saudi Arabia » Abqaiq
February 21st 2009
Published: February 21st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Power Shopping and a New City - Abqaiq This morning I went into Khobar with a mission: Find an Arabian style coffee pot. I took the 8:35 bus in and had between 9:00 and 10:30 to do a bunch of power shopping. I had scene a shop that looked interesting, but when Glyn and I were in Khobar on Thursday, everything closed at noon. So now was my last opportunity to buy some souvenirs of my trip. Th... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Camel CrossingCamel Crossing
Camel Crossing

Double click to enlarge this one.
Aramco SecurityAramco Security
Aramco Security

There are three checkpoints into every camp. The first one is really serious -- lots of machine guns.
Aramco - AbquiqAramco - Abquiq
Aramco - Abquiq

See, it's really spelled that way.
Glyn and his new best friendGlyn and his new best friend
Glyn and his new best friend

This does NOT look anything like a deer!
Camels by the side of the roadCamels by the side of the road
Camels by the side of the road

Click NEXT to see close-up of camels and the rest of the photos.



21st February 2009

You Got Dessert Again
Ted: You know I was watching Andrew Zimmern the other day (or was it Tony?)...anyway they were eating camel in the DESERT! It sounds like you are having a great time. So glad the trip is working out. I love the pictures. Ellen
21st February 2009

U!
"AbqUiq. How can a town have two q’s and no u’s?" I see a flaw in your theory. Enjoy your last few days!
21st February 2009

Jumped the gun...
I stand corrected. "Aramco - Abqaiq See, it's really spelled that way"
22nd February 2009

Dessert, Desert
Thanks for the positive comments, Ellen. The photos are a nice touch, but I almost didn't even bring my camera! What a mistake that would have been. You say desert, I say dessert. Potayto, potahto, bla, bla, bla. I'm frankly surprised that I'm not more incoherent when I type these blogs. Usually they are written around midnight.
22nd February 2009

Abqaiq
I changed my typos, so it now reads "Abqaiq." There really are no u's in Abqaiq. It's just that it's hard to type a q without a u. See photo for proof!
23rd February 2009

NEAT!
Dad, your day sounds really great! I think it's the coolest thing to see animals in their natural habitat! (Which is why I think our next vacation needs to be to Africa!! An African safari, how amazing would that be?? -but i digress.) If you get a chance to pick me up one of those Geni lamps I would not complain one little bit!! I would love that! Have a great last few days in S.A! -Abby and as the name I typed in says, your favorite NINETEEN your old daughter. I am 19. Oh, and my name is ABBY. I'm hoping that you remember these things all the way over in S.A since you seem to have difficulty remember whilst still around the US. haha. :)
23rd February 2009

Abby?
You say your name is Abby? Hmmm, I don't recall an Abby. Are you sure this is the correct blog? JK. I'm starting to remember now. Do you have your three wishes picked out?
23rd February 2009

80 Degrees in Phoenix
It may be 80 degrees in Phoenix, but I bet you don't have camels!
23rd February 2009

I can't believe...
...you almost didn't take a camera! I'm glad common sense got the better of you, because we'd otherwise be missing a lot in these blogs! (Even WITH photos, I think it's hard to convey the vast unendingness of the desert.) I'm so impressed at how intrepid you are - jumping onto buses and heading into town to go shopping. You haven't shared any of your bargaining strategies - how are you communicating, and what are the reactions of the vendors?
23rd February 2009

Cameras and Such
Yes, I almost didn't bring a camera because I know that people are sensitive to it here and you run the risk of having it taken away if you take the wrong photo at the wrong time. However, you'll notice that my photos often taken from the bus where it's a more controlled environment. I haven't taken as many photos of people as I would normally because of the issues involved with that. Also, I've tried to take street scene photos as quickly as possible and to carry my camera in my wallet. As for communication, almost everyone speaks English, so it is quite easy. However, the accent can be quite strong, so I dont' always catch everything that's being said (but that's true even with the consultants that are here from other countries). However, it's much easier than France, for example. Almost all of the signs are in Arabic and English. My bargaining is not very skilled, I assure you. When you walk in the door, you are already entitled to a "discount" but that's like the sale price at Macy's. In other words, not that meaningful. Their strategy seems to be "buy more and get a bigger discount." However, I don't think they have to worry about their profit margin very much. Still, prices here are relatively inexpensive compared to the US, so it's not that much of a concern.
23rd February 2009

Ab-Cake
Abqaiq, eh? --- I see a new nickname for your favorite 19-year-old daughter! Hope your last couple of days in S.A. (San Antonio? South America? -- where are you again?) are as enjoyable as the rest have been. I know Linda is way ready for you to be home again. Tiner
23rd February 2009

Abs and Abqaiq
Hi Tina. I think your are right. Abqaiq sounds like a great nickname! However, it's really hard to type a q without typing a u. Especially in the middle of a word. It IS amazing that tomorrow night will be my last night here! However, I am ready to come back.
28th June 2010
I bought a REAL Genie Lamp!

erm
erm............... R U sure? I think its a fake
22nd November 2010
I bought a REAL Genie Lamp!

this
is that real sir?
22nd November 2010

Genie Lamp
But of course, it is real. How could you think otherwise?
2nd January 2011
I bought a REAL Genie Lamp!

Genie in the lamp
I o believe in genies, but problem is I never seen one or had a wish granted. let me have one wish granted. With no harm to anyone.
22nd March 2011
I bought a REAL Genie Lamp!

wondering is it real
i been having this feeling that a genie is real!! What I really want to know is did the genie lamp actually come with a genie and three wishes?
22nd March 2011

Lamps, Genies, and Wishes
Yes, the lamp came with a genie and three wishes. I'm saving the wishes. Does anyone have a recommendation of what I should wish for?
24th May 2011
I bought a REAL Genie Lamp!

real one
i need a real genies lamp so i can get 3 whishes. if i get one of yours .will i get 3 wgiehes?
25th May 2011

Wishes from a Genie Lamp
So what would be your three wishes?
8th May 2012
I bought a REAL Genie Lamp!

Is it real?
If it is actually a real genie lamp where'd u get it are there more?
8th May 2012
I bought a REAL Genie Lamp!

Genie Lamps
Hello Zoya. Yes, of course the genie lamp is real. The tricky part is declaring the genie at customs at the border, since the genie does not come with a passport. However, I was able to use up one of my three wishes and get the genie into the country. Please note that you have to pay extra when you buy the lamp to get one with a real genie. Good luck and good travels!

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0917s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb