Journal day 11 - Mount Nebo & The Dead Sea.


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » West » Dead Sea
February 15th 2011
Published: February 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

After having a late night yesterday Gary and I werent too fussed about heading out too early si we chilled for most of the morning chatting about music and our many other common interests, Gary cooked out ommellettes fit for a king (Abdellah II to be precise) and then we headed down to the huge Fitness First gym were Gary gave me a bit if a tour. Then we hooked up with Rana and set off to today's destinations, mount Nebo and Tve famous Dead Sea.

It only took about an hour from Amman to drive to Mount Nebo and the road finished takes you most of the way so it's a doodle to get up to the top. Mount Nebo is traditionally believed to be the place where Moses died since the 4th century. He is thought to have passed away after fulfilling his promise to deliver the people of the 3 monotheistic religions to the Holy land.... I think.

Today the top of the mount is reached via 'The Road of Peace' which contains a large monolith sculptural piece erected for the year 2000 jubilee which was apparently witnessed by the good ol' pope John Paul.

The main basilica of Moses is currently being remodelled and was surrounded by scaffolding but we were able to enter a temporary enclosure containing intricate mosaics that were discovered when archaeologists investigated the remains of a monastery and Byzantine church which once stood on top of mount Nebo.

The top of mount Nebo offers fantastic views over the dead sea and across Jordan and into israel to towns like Jericho.
In front of the basilica stands a metal cross wrapped with a snake and in front of it we witnessed a mass for a group of Chinese tourists singing some prayers in, well, Chinese I guess.

Then on to the Dead Sea. As it's lowest point on earth at about 800 metres below the level of the mediterranean sea, it was downhill all the way.

Access to the Dead Sea via a hotel beach is 50JD. But in typical form Gary knew the manager of the 'Dead Sea hotel,' one of the oldest hotels along the water edge., and as a result we got in free. So 2 days in Petra and a bob about in the Dead Sea cost me a total of 2JD instead of the normal 150JD. Pretty nifty.

As the waters edge is typically rugged and rocky the hotels have artificial sandy beaches, changing and shower facilities. So we plonked into the water and as expected just floated about on the surface. I'd been warned by a number of people and warning boards to not get the salty water in my eyes but got a bit excited and splashed about a bit and soon found out why because it flippin burns.

A big box close to the waters edge with a big sign saying 'free mud' was too tempting to resist so we covered ourselves from head to toe in thick black gloop.
Apparently it's meant to be great for skin but also makes you look a bit like like arnie at the end of Predator!
The whole experience a tad word but good fun and did leave my pasty sensitive skin feeling quite revitalised.

Back to Amnan to pack my rucksack, then down to a local bar for some food and a final pint and when Rana finished work she called round to drive me to the airport where I said a very fond farewell to her and Gary.

(NOTES: passed by Baptism site where saint John the Baptist.
Bethany beyond the Jordan
East of river Jordan)

Great week in Jordan and fortnight in The Moddle East. Fitted in as much as possible every day but still loads left to do to warrant another trip there in the future.
Farewells are always a bit emotional after a great trip like this with good friends but after parting ways with Gary and Rana it paled in comparison when I watched a group of Jordanian lads about my age say farewell to each other by the traditional way of bracing and kissing each other on the cheek about 20 times each.

Now on the plane for a long old slog to bangkok.

Mount Nebo & The Dead Sea Pics

Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb