Historic Petra, Jordan


Advertisement
Jordan's flag
Middle East » Jordan » South » Petra
August 13th 2010
Published: April 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I took over 400 photos, but this place is one you definitely have to go to - photos just don't do it justice, or mine don't: the heat and the blasting sun burns the fierce reds and oranges of the stones and the incredible searing colours leap out at you, make you stand back...virtually all lost here....We can't forget Petra - a magical time, walking around in the heat and dust and everyone so happy, or talkative at least ...I remember the little girl who shouted when she saw me and scrambled down the dusty hill - she threw her arms around my hips and grinned and grinned up at me; one of the Berber teenagers who ran a cafe with her friends in the desert, making up an American tourist's eyes with black eyeliner because she'd asked how to apply it; a magnetic, morose and unbelievably beautiful Berber who had lived in London and spoke with such sadness about his life. He had hated England, but didn't seem any happier here....and on top of that, the desert and tombs and the stillness in the air. A hidden place that had survived endless earthquakes - all BC - and now it was still and calm and powerful, protected by the winding Siq.








Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Carriages racing through the SiqCarriages racing through the Siq
Carriages racing through the Siq

The sound of the wheels was unbelievably loud, bouncing and echoing off the walls...
Mounted Jordanian policeMounted Jordanian police
Mounted Jordanian police

- different to the Berbers
She came to talkShe came to talk
She came to talk

a fab smiley girl who hugged me!
Big enough to get a medium-sized car in!Big enough to get a medium-sized car in!
Big enough to get a medium-sized car in!

No idea what could actually gouge out a hole this big in the Siq walls - it was enormous!
The Treasury just visible behindThe Treasury just visible behind
The Treasury just visible behind

and the towering walls of the Siq in front
Berber womanBerber woman
Berber woman

I accidentally woke her up as I scrambled up some rocks- she was sleeping in the shade. Bought two of her handmade necklaces, left one in the Petra hotel room...
Bored Berber  policeman and giant stonesBored Berber  policeman and giant stones
Bored Berber policeman and giant stones

- he looks like a tiny todler sitting there!
Small shrine carved into the Siq wallSmall shrine carved into the Siq wall
Small shrine carved into the Siq wall

the statue that would have been there is long gone of course...
Berber girlBerber girl
Berber girl

I watched her for a while - she wouldn't play with the other kids- just wanted to be alone to think and look at her treasure...
In the SiqIn the Siq
In the Siq

Never quite sure what was around the next corner....


Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 20; qc: 83; dbt: 0.0976s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb