From Gibeon to Joppa


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Tel Aviv District » Jaffa
September 23rd 2008
Published: September 23rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Canaanite kings were worried. The Israelites, led by General Joshua, were defeating one Canaanite city after another. Their only hope was to unite and fight Israel together.

The people of Gibeon had a better idea. Why not trick Israel into making peace? Joshua signed a treaty with Gibeon, but the Canaanites viewed the Gibeonites as traitors. Unitedly, they attacked. Israel came to the aid of Gibeon, and the victory was so great, that Joshua feared that the day would end and the Canaanites would escape into the night. So he prayed to Jehovah, and then cried out "Sun! Stand still over Gibeon!"

Try to imagine looking down on Gibeon, then looking up into the sky to see the very same sun in the middle of the heavens.

Tonight we are in Tel-Aviv/Yafo, site of ancient Joppa. This seaport was where the cedars of Lebanon were delivered for constructing Soloman's temple. Jonah embarked from here, to Tarshish instead of Ninevah. Peter visited the house of Simon the Tanner (so did I), and here he resurrected Dorcas. That night, he had a vision that he must preach to the Gentiles, just in time to meet those sent by Cornelius.
The SunThe SunThe Sun

(not standing still)





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



24th September 2008

great pics!
27th September 2008

Museum
Was Simon's house a museum? By the way, what sort of trinkets are they selling at these places?
2nd November 2008

picture comment
I like your text under the sun picture "not standing still"....sorry..that was just funny!
12th July 2009

Gideon
Is the picture one of Gibeon or Gideon?

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb