A trip to Ben Gurion's Hut and more!


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » South District » Be'er Sheva
June 7th 2011
Published: June 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Not long ago I went to Ben Gurion's hut on Kibbutz Sde Boker. This was the house he lived in after he retired from politics. It was very small and modest. The house was left exactly as it was the day that he died in 1973. It was very moving to see that a person of such high importance would choose to live so humbly after serving as Israel's first Prime Minister. He was greatly loved and respected by many people in the country, and played an important role in the creation of the country. The airport and the university in Be'er Sheva are both named after him.

We were home in Be'er Sheva the evening of a holiday called Lag Bo'Omer. Its a holiday that comes from the Sephardi (Jewish people who come from the Middle East and Spain). The holiday is marked with bonfires. Everybody takes all of their scrap wood and makes a huge bonfire. Most people also roast marshmallows and spend time with their family. We saw a an enormous bonfire down by the pet store on our street, and many more looking out over the balcony of our apartment. (They call them “flat's, here).

Just the other day we were leaving Jerusalem after we saw an amazing performance of “Hamlet” we stopped and went down this huge wacky slide made of clay on this playground. The slide looked like a cow monster and it felt funny zipping down it's long tong. We also went to a amazing drumming/music/dance performance in Tel Aviv. It was sort of like stomp and blue man put together. The group was called “Momentum” and they tour all over the world when they are not performing at their theatre here in Israel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

from out balcony from out balcony
from out balcony

Bonfires for Lag Bo'omar
BonfireBonfire
Bonfire

Lag Bo'omer holiday
Pet StorePet Store
Pet Store

I love walking down the street to this pet store. They always let me visit with the animals.


Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 31; dbt: 0.1242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb