A Tour of Galilee


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » North District » Nazareth
September 24th 2008
Published: September 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Today we embarked on a day long tour of Galilee. A few highlights:

1.) Many of the Bethel family came out onto the sidewalk to greet us. There are 30 members, serving about 1,300 Witnesses, but they had 2,800 at the Memorial. They gave us back issues in Hebrew.

2.) In Caesarea, we saw the Hippodrome, Herod's Palace, and the very room where Paul appealed his detention to Caesar.

3.) Elijah challenged the prophets of Baal to a contest on Mount Carmel. After they failed to arouse Baal to accept their sacrifice, Elijah drenched his altar with fire. Then, with a single prayer, fire from heaven devoured the offering and the altar itself. Elijah and his men then executed the false prophets of Baal.

4.) An army of 32,000 was reduced to 10,000, then down to only 300 at this very spot. Gideon retained the soldiers who kept watch while drinking, and then went on to defeat an army of 135,000 men.

5.) Standing where Ahab's Palace was in Jezreel, there is still a vineyard down below. There is a spring inside that knot of trees, which is probably why Ahab coveted it so much.

6.) We drove through Nazareth, and up to the Nazareth cliff. When Jesus declined to perform a miracle for the amusement of the townsfolk, they rushed him to this cliff and tried to throw him over.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



24th September 2008

confused
back to the sun standing still comment-are you getting your b's and d's mixed up ? is this a test? or am I just confused? we're really enjoying the pictures. Dad says Hi
25th September 2008

love the shot of you drinking water like gideon's men! what an amazing day! you can see why many consider this a life-altering trip. i love you.
25th September 2008

Test Questions?
Your running commentary is great and I really enjoy your obsessive details. My only concern is: Will the final exam be multiple choice or essay questions? Will we need a blue book or will looseleaf paper suffice? The hatÂ….ah the hat! The only positive thing about the hat is that since its style does not originate from the area you are visiting we can safely rule out the story that some Christian martyrs may have turned themselves in and knowingly faced the lions rather than wear such a hat in public. I think it was supposed to have something to do with self respect.
25th September 2008

Gibeon and Gideon
Gibeon was the Canaanite town, Gideon was the Judge. Entry has been corrected.
26th September 2008

Water Drinking
Hey David, I loved the picture of you drinking water! Reminds me of the story, Good call looking up while drinking :-) I am looking forward to you getting back, I want to hear all of the good details! Have a safe trip -- Matt
27th September 2008

Gideon's Army
I like the Gideon Army reenactment as well. I have a question, that really has no answer. These events took place thousands of years ago, so do you get a "feeling" from these sites. Does your gut tell you that they have the correct places picked out? Do you get the feeling from some places and not from others?
29th September 2008

I would want it too!
I would want Naboth's Vineyard too. The only real trees as far as the eye can reach... and if you want your privacy when you take a dip in the spring - you've got to have those trees.

Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb