Background: Following World War II, the British withdrew from their mandate of Palestine, and the UN partitioned the area into Arab and Jewish states, an arrangement rejected by the Arabs. Subsequently, the Israelis defeated the Arabs in a series of wars without ending the deep tensions between the two sides. The territories occupied by Israel since the 1967 war are not included in the Israel country profile, unless otherwise noted. On 25 April 1982, Israel withdrew from the Sinai pursuant to the 1979 Israel-Egypt Peace Treaty. Israel and Palestinian officials signed on 13 September 1993 a Declaration of Principles (also known as the "Oslo accords") guiding an interim period of Palestinian self-rule. Outstanding territorial and other disputes with Jordan were resolved in the 26 October 1994 Israel-Jordan Treaty of Peace. In addition, on 25 May 2000, Israel withdrew unilaterally from southern Lebanon, which it had occupied since 1982. In keeping with the framework established at the Madrid Conference in October 1991, bilateral negotiations were conducted between Israel and Palestinian representatives and Syria to achieve a permanent settlement. On 24 June 2002, US President BUSH laid out a "road map" for resolving the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, which envisions a two-state solution. However, progress toward a permanent status agreement has been undermined by Palestinian-Israeli violence ongoing since September 2000. The conflict may have reached a turning point with the election in January 2005 of Mahmud ABBAS as the new Palestinian leader following the November 2004 death of Yasir ARAFAT.
Photos from Golan
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Golan
Latest Blogs from Golan
- February 5th 2013 Of hyraxes, fortresses, and ancient temples
by Words: 1661 Photos: 14
- September 9th 2012 KULULULULULULU!!!!
by Words: 664 Photos: 15
- July 4th 2012 Golan Heights and UNDOF
by Words: 234 Photos: 10
- May 29th 2012 Golan Heights
by Words: 702 Photos: 8
- March 4th 2011 Friday March 4 - Golan Heights
by Words: 285 Photos: 27
- August 16th 2010 Off to the North!
by Words: 550 Photos: 5
- March 27th 2010 Roadtrip to the North
by Words: 402 Photos: 18
- November 14th 2009 The enemies are closer than you think....
by Words: 396 Photos: 0
- September 15th 2009 Jaffa, Caesarea and the Golan
by Words: 1323 Photos: 11
- August 7th 2009 The Golan Heights = רמת הגולן
by Words: 564 Photos: 16
- February 26th 2009 Travels within travel...
by Words: 1816 Photos: 22
- December 11th 2007 GOLAN HEIGHTS!~
by Words: 984 Photos: 16
- August 16th 2007 Adventure Day in Golan
by Words: 223 Photos: 0
- August 15th 2007 “Roman” Around Israel
by Words: 336 Photos: 1
- May 22nd 2007 Banias & Nimrod Fortress, the Golan, Erev Shavuot
by Words: 162 Photos: 0
- December 27th 2006 December 2006 6th Day
by Words: 701 Photos: 2
- June 6th 2006 Politics and Fun
by Words: 544 Photos: 3
- October 11th 2005 Week of Rosh HaShana
by Words: 265 Photos: 19