An Acre of Akko.


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » North District » Acre
July 3rd 2012
Published: July 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After the bus in Caesarea we headed to Akko, or in western culture called "Acre". We had a nice lunch of Shawarma in the city of Akko, we headed to the castle that was once built there. Led by Shimon (again!), he gave us a little history about the area, and took us on a tour of the castle. It was an ancient castle that was restored and after a tour of the castle, we had a chance to go see what we went for, the underground escape tunnels. While many of us taller folk had to bend and struggle to get in, Shimon comments on how people used to be short back then, and Erin chips in "why couldn't I be born then, I'd be ****ing tall then!", which incited much laughter to the humor of the group. A little bit of history included the quarters of the Hospitalians, who were once sent to Acre. Can anyone guess what their specialties in the battlefield was? Medical services and hospitality (who knew, eh?). After their quarters, we had a chance to walk past the tunnels (again!) and finally end up at a gift shop where the friendly shopkeeper hand made a steel plate engraved with a fish on it, and whoever guessed right got the plate. Janel got it right so she won the fish plate, and we headed off to a local market around the area. Nobody really bought anything so we got on our way. We actually over-spent some time in Acre so we had to rush to get on the bus. Over-spending time means we didn't have time to go gift shopping, but Shimon got us all a poster for good measure. Alas, Acre, we part our ways, though I sure do hope our paths do cross again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb