Wednesday Part Two: Yom Yerushalayim and a Musical Evening


Advertisement
Published: May 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

Yom Yerushalayim in Jerusalem is the anniversary of the June 1967 reunification of Jerusalem, when Israel gained control of the Old City of Jerusalem at the end of the Six Day War. We had seen many Israeli school and teen groups by the Wall on the eve of this day, Tuesday night, when we were visiting the Western Wall Tunnels, but when we arrived back around 4:30 pm from Masada it was even more incredible. Huge groups carrying dozens of full size Israeli flags (not the little ones on sticks the way we Americans do on Fourth of July) were headed up the avenue past our hotel to the big rally at the top of King George Street from where a march would happen in the early evening down from West Jerusalem to the Old City.

The group had some free time until the evening to get dinner if they were still hungry after the huge buffet lunch at the Dead Sea hotel. Most did not need dinner. There was enough time for me to pick a few things for the group to have a snack at my place before our evening of music at my friend's home, so I walked up to the Supersol (market) and ran into Sandy on the way. He and a few others had not come to Masada because they had done that before. He looked relaxed and just out enjoying the neighborhood. At the top of King George we saw the huge crowd getting ready for the rally/march. Sorry I didn't have my camera but I took a couple of photos with my iPhone and when I get back home I'll add those to this blog.

While Sandy sat outside and enjoyed an ice cream cone I bought a few things - crackers, hummus, soft cheese, water - and we walked back to the hotel. I had a bit more time before the group was to meet in my room, so I checked out the pool and took a very short swim - felt a little guilty that I had not gone in the pool at the Dead Sea but it was just too hot down there. It was much cooler in Jerusalem, already down in the mid 70's by 6 pm with a breeze. It's not a big pool but it is a quiet spot and it's on the 8th floor meaning
At Maureen's apartmentAt Maureen's apartmentAt Maureen's apartment

Michael's photo
I can just walk down the hall and I'm there.

The group gathered at my place for a snack and we wrote little thank you notes for the people we would meet that evening, then at 7:30 pm we headed up to my friend Maureen's home. Sadly, Lauren was not feeling well so she and Bob stayed back and she was better by the morning. Lauren is a professional musician so we missed her presence at this musical evening.

It was a bit of a hassle getting three taxis to all understand where the twelve of us were headed, but it all worked out. We climbed the steps up to her small third floor apartment in Nachlaot - just 10 steps from Machane Yehuda market. There Maureen had lovely munchies for us: cut up small pieces of kugel Israeli style made by a friend of hers; peanut vegan cupcakes; homemade vegan ice cream; etc. Maureen's mother's art hung all around on the walls (Harriet Kushner) and the group felt so warmly welcomed by Maureen and the friends she invited. Her friend Ovadya was smiling ear to ear - he and the group really made a connection. And of course, the musician friends of Maureen's created a magical evening. We went up her interior steps and she had chairs set up on one side of her private balcony. It was a cool night and everyone had jackets on plus some extra shawls Maureen brought up for us.

However, the breeze and weather did not bother us at all. Gila on her blue violin and Rachel's beautiful singing voice were mesmerizing. Maureen and the musicians had prepared a two sided song sheet with music of Jerusalem and songs of yearning for the city, and songs of joy. They sang, we sang (we even shared for them a version of Hiney Mah Tov from the Reform movement), and our souls were full and expanded. As Natalie said later, Rachel's voice was beautiful but her soul was even more beautiful.

These were all Orthodox women - Rachel and Gila are ultra-Orthodox (Haredi), yet they came and shared their passion and spirit with us. It was such a blessing from both Rachel and Gila (who is a very well-known musician).

After a glass of tea back down in Maureen's apartment we split into two groups - one walking home (about 20 minutes) and the other taking the bus. Ovadya insisted on riding the bus with them so they would not get lost, and the next day I found out he insisted on paying their bus fares as part of his act of hospitality. When those of us walking got back to the hotel, Ovadya was just walking back and we stopped and talked a few minutes with him and he shared with us the story of how he retrofitted the Jerusalem Theater years ago for safety including building a pool of water that can be used by firefighters in case of emergency. Little stories the group will remember.

That was it for the long day. Tomorrow: Meeting with Anat Hoffman of IRAC, visiting Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial, and an evening with a chef.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0837s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb