Deacon Peter


Advertisement
Israel's flag
Middle East » Israel » Haifa District » Hadar HaCarmel
March 31st 2014
Published: March 31st 2014
Edit Blog Post

As I write this at the end of a long day, I am at a Franciscan guest house on the ‘mount’ where the Sermon on the Mount was given. It is a beautiful clean modern building in a very peaceful setting. I can look out my window and see the Sea of Galilee, where Peter fished, Jesus walked on the water and calmed the storm. It is a very peaceful setting and quite a contrast to where we started our day, in Jerusalem.

We got on our bus early and left Jerusalem on a 6 lane modern highway, one of the first towns we drove through was Emmaus. From the story in scripture I really never thought of the road to Emmaus as a super highway.

Our first stop was Caesarea on the Mediterranean. A city built by Herod to open up trade with Rome. We saw the theater where St Paul defended himself against charges of starting a riot.(Acts 25:11-12 & 23) The theater is still in quite good shape and still in use occasionally for concerts. There was a chariot racing track that made me want to watch Ben Hur when I get home (LOVE that chariot race scene).

We stopped at a Roman aqueduct. Kind of interesting but when you realize they were building these with 2,000 year old instruments and the rate of descent is one inch per mile, you really develop some appreciation for the engineers and crafts men who built them.

We stopped at a beautiful church on Mount Carmel in Haifa, a beautiful modern city where the Christians, Muslims and Jews cooperate and have built a prosperous city. It is home to the only municipal Christmas tree in Israel. The church is also home to the cave where the prophet Elijah stayed and heard God in the still small voice.

We left Haifa and stopped at Cana to celebrate Mas where the wedding hall once stood. The couples on the trip renewed their vows. Jerry Maguire made, “you complete me” a cheesy clique but I have seldom felt as incomplete without Patti as I did then.

Our next stop was where we are now, the Mount of Beatitudes. Judging from all the art around her, I am guessing Jesus fed the 5,000 here as well.

Tomorrow we go to Nazareth and the Church of the Annunciation
Governor's seat at CesariaGovernor's seat at CesariaGovernor's seat at Cesaria

area in the middle now has bars around it



Good Night and blessings from Galilee


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

hippodromehippodrome
hippodrome

Of course I found the race track
Elijah's caveElijah's cave
Elijah's cave

See 1 Kings

Original Floor of the Wedding hall at CanaOriginal Floor of the Wedding hall at Cana
Original Floor of the Wedding hall at Cana

Did the Lord dance with his mother on this floor?


2nd April 2014

Aww...
Very nice post dad! :)

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb