Background: Known as Persia until 1935, Iran became an Islamic republic in 1979 after the ruling monarchy was overthrown and the shah was forced into exile. Conservative clerical forces established a theocratic system of government with ultimate political authority nominally vested in a learned religious scholar. Iranian-US relations have been strained since a group of Iranian students seized the US Embassy in Tehran on 4 November 1979 and held it until 20 January 1981. During 1980-88, Iran fought a bloody, indecisive war with Iraq that eventually expanded into the Persian Gulf and led to clashes between US Navy and Iranian military forces between 1987-1988. Iran has been designated a state sponsor of terrorism for its activities in Lebanon and elsewhere in the world and remains subject to US economic sanctions and export controls because of its continued involvement. Following the elections of a reformist president and Majlis in the late 1990s, attempts to foster political reform in response to popular dissatisfaction have floundered as conservative politicians have prevented reform measures from being enacted, increased repressive measures, and consolidated their control over the government.
Photos from Yazd
Blogs from Yazd
Latest Blogs from Yazd
- October 7th 2012 Zoroastrianism
by Words: 310 Photos: 16
- November 12th 2011 When a picture is worth more than 1,000 words!!
by Words: 98 Photos: 3
- November 12th 2011 Life In Iran
by Words: 1378 Photos: 17
- August 28th 2010 Salaam, where you from? Welcome
by Words: 237 Photos: 18
- August 24th 2010 Yazd pics
by Words: 2 Photos: 0
- July 6th 2010 Oasis town and invitations home from soldiers
by Words: 3112 Photos: 26
- April 16th 2010 Persepolis and Yazd
by Words: 258 Photos: 8
- October 8th 2009 Zoroastrian roots
by Words: 1269 Photos: 16
- September 25th 2009 Yazd (Safest city in Iran)
by Words: 776 Photos: 26
- April 30th 2009 Yazd,.
by Words: 583 Photos: 11
- April 29th 2009 Po drodze do Yazd.
by Words: 835 Photos: 7
- March 18th 2009 The backpacker hangout of Iran..?
by Words: 1313 Photos: 33
- November 3rd 2008 on the road another time
by Words: 156 Photos: 4
- October 12th 2008 Yadz, Shiraz, Persepolis and Esfahan
by Words: 516 Photos: 13
- October 6th 2008 "why would you want to come to Yazd - its a shithole"
by Words: 873 Photos: 0
- July 1st 2008 Yazd: oasis of wind towers
by Words: 1014 Photos: 0
- June 8th 2008 Day 9 - Back in my favourite city
by Words: 376 Photos: 0
- November 26th 2007 Living the opulent life in Yazd
by Words: 1381 Photos: 0
- October 21st 2007 Ahmedinejad and Me
by Words: 43 Photos: 4
- September 17th 2007 Yazd, Zoroastrianism and Did Ramazan Start?
by Words: 1246 Photos: 18